Air Conditioner Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Martin, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Sep 26, 1999
    Me and My wife are trying to buy a new AC unit since the other is going out on us and is getting too old.

What brands do you recommend and how much am I looking to drop on this? Like most things you get what you pay for and I'm looking for a good value.
  2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Nov 13, 2000
    I'm partial to carrier equipment, but the brands bilt by carrier and sold under different names are OK too like bryant and day/night.
    cost depends on your house, and how much time they'll take installing it, any dollar amount would be a total guess, but we'll say 1500-3000 from a really small house on up.
    I feel installation work is a lot more important than the brand of equipment, a carrier installed like crap isn't going to last as long as a janitrol installled really nicely.. so be weary of who you choose... ask if they have photos of previous jobs [​IMG]
    I like the line set (tubes from the AC unit to your furnace) cut and soldered at every corner, it should be level, and it should be straight, and anchored firmly. The electrical whip should be clean, and the control wires from the thermostat should be run inside the whip so a dog or kid doens't pull them out or chew on them.
    should be set on a concrete type pad if there isnt' one already, and it should be level, with a couple feet all around it for airflow and access to the service panels.. stuff like that.. if the job looks neat chances are it is IMO.
    also the longer they run the vacuum pump the better.. though I think most places run it for an hour and call it good.. not the best...