What's new

Air Conditioner Question (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I have central air in my house. Last night I noticed water outside a kitchen window coming from a pipe. I am assuming that this was a overflow pipe from the air conditioner. I've looked in the top of the pipes next to the unit inside and noticed water inside the pipe. Is there supposed to be water visible in the pipe?

I've been told to pour about a cup of bleach in each pipe once in a while to kill anything growing in it. Is bleach heavier than water? If I pour the bleach in the pipe will it flow through the water and out the other end or will it fill the pipe sitting on top of the water then overflow?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Bleach is mostly water to begin with, so it will combine with the water to make a less saturated solution. You would only have to worry about "heavier" or Lighter" if it was not water soluble.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
The water is condensate from the air handler. It collects and is drained away. Think of the outside of a glass of a cold drink on a hot, humid day.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
don't quote me on this, but i think you should actually have *two* pipes. one near the ground and an "overflow" pipe (probably right above it).

if the water is coming out of the overflow pipe, then something is wrong.

as far as the bleach thing goes, (again don't quote me but) it doesn't take much bleach to kill stuff. something like 10 parts to 1 is more then enough. so don't pour too much bleach into whatever pipe...

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
When I lived in Austin I had 2 sets of condensation drains for each system. Both systems were in the attic. 1 condensation pipe came from each system to a few inches above the ground. The other pipes were the over flows from the trays, should the primary condensation pipes become clogged. Those were located on my eave so they dripped in front of a window to make it obvious that there was an issue. So if you are seeing water coming from the overflow tubes you have a problem. Does the tray have water in it?

I used 1/3 to 1/2 water and clorox to keep the drains clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks