Air Compressor Part - Blowgun Safety Nozzle?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn Overholt, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

In keeping with strange questions, does anyone know what this thing does? I got one in a pile of parts and can't figure it out for the life of me.
    Thanks!
    Glenn

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Not sure if this is the same part you are asking about, but when in high-school I worked at a factory during the summers and all the air-guns were required to be limited to 35 pounds of pressure to meet government safety standards. So all the the blowguns had these plastic caps on them that basically reduced the effective air pressure. They were usually bright yellow in color and just added a hole that constantly blew out air to the side.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

O- kay, can I say yes and no?

Mine is steel (or something close). Yes, it does have the two holes on the sides for the excess air, and I figured that part out, but where I am lost is how to connect it. It is only threaded on one end, but I thought that it should be used in conjunction with something else. I have different nozzles and I can adjust the air pressure at the machine. If I just put that one part on to the end of the nozzle I'd have air blowing out of three holes.
    Thanks though.
    Glenn

4. DougR

DougR Second Unit

It screws on the end of the gun....... it doesn't blow air in three directions ![​IMG]
    This is what you've got ?
    Air Blow gun
    Note:

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yep, that's the one. The only thing I can think of for a use for it would be to (get this) blow yourself off! Have you used one of those?

As for me, I can't remember that far back, but I have used one. Maybe in the late '70's. Wow, how time flies.

Glenn

6. DougR

DougR Second Unit

We use them in the shop to blow the metal chips...etc, off the machines and work benches. It's a unsafe practice to "blow yourself off" , but we do that too sometimes ! [​IMG]

7. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Almost any blow gun you buy will have holes in the sides of it to limit the air coming out at the tip. you would wont to use a standard male coupling on the threaded end of it to connect & dis connect it from your air line.
    The ones I use are a pen style blow off that the end twists in & out to adjust the amount of air you get & I actley braze over the holes to get more pressure out of them. It makes it real handy when you wont to remove loose paint from something[​IMG]