What's new

Aint it cool says if FOTR underperforms the post budget for TTT could be cut. BUT... (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Uh...WTF does WETA mean?
IMNSHO, acronyms (TLA or not) suck! AFAIK, it means Why Eat Tofu Ants!
:D

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
People, please keep in mind the source of this "information".
Harry Knowles? A personal friend of Peter Jackson? The guy who sent dozens of fans' questions to PJ then posted the answers on his website? The guy that visited New Zealand to witness the last days' shooting of LOTR and visited PJ's home and interviewed the cast and crew of the trilogy?
Yeah, he probably doesn't have any kind of inside info on this subject. :rolleyes

Luke Bowers

Auditioning
I really hope it is. The only review I've read was some hyper fan-boy on Aint-it-cool-news who didnt really say too much about the movie. It even says "coming soon: lord of the rings" at the bottom of the the sneak peaks page so I think that bet would be a good one. :emoji_thumbsup:
Luke Bowers

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Steve, nobody said that the allmighty Harry Knowles posted the info, just that "Ain't It Cool" posted it. That could have been anybody, as that site has about a million "reviewers". I can't stand wallowing through that mess of a site to decipher what is genuine information and what is b.s.. If Harry posted it, maybe there's some truth to it - if not, I would take it with a grain of salt.
Sorry if I've offended any devout AICN followers out there, you included Steve, but I just don't dig AICN. Thanks for allowing me a chance to voice my opinion.
Oh, and LOTR is gonna whoop ass. :D

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
We're talking about The Two Towers getting less than it's originally intended budget if Fellowship of the Rings tanks. Personally, I don't think it's gonna happen. And here I notice I did a bad thing and used acronyms. Let me clarify...
LOTR = Lord of the Rings
AICN = Ain't it Cool News
I apologize for any confusion. :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I will be very surprised if FOTR "tanks". Mainly thanks to Harry Potter, it must be said. At the two screenings of Potter I went to, the FOTR trailer was shown, and it was obvious people were impressed - in fact it got a better reaction than the new Ep II trailer did.
Bottom line: I'm sure that a lot of people, not regular cinema goers, who were dragged by their kids to see Potter, actually had a good time, and will come back to see FOTR.
The only thing that will bring Fellowship down is severely bad word of mouth - but IMO that would only affect it after the first couple of weeks (and by then it will have recouped >$100m!).

mark_d

Second Unit
I'm bringing this off topic - my appoloigies - normal service will be resumed soon, I'm sure.

An alternative take on the FOTR vs AOTC trailers.

I asked a colleague of mine what she thought of Harry Potter - I haven't seen it yet. Even though we mostly have completely different tastes, I enjoy listeneing to people's views on movies. Anyway, I asked if she'd seen the FOTR trailer with HP as I think it looks incredible.

She said: "Yeah, my girlfriend and I thought it looked pretty good, but they showed the trailer for the next Star Wars, and when that finished we looked at each other and said we have got to see that one!"

Cool. There's no competition in my view - I'll be seeing them both. Everybody wins!

Mark

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Wingnut is PJ's production company (all his films are 'wingnut' films) and he is co-owner of WETA.

I posted in another thread a quote from a New Line Exec about how they had covered 80% of the costs already through licensing.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The impression I've gotten is that New Line's higher-ups consider these films to be part of their legacy, like Elm Street, and are committed to doing it right, because it will probably never be done again

Hubert

Second Unit
I just got back from AICN and AICN forums, and that place is filled with the stupidest, most juvenile people I have ever seen. I only say this because I've heard people talk about AICN, and this post refers to AICN. After witnessing what I just did, I can't imagine anyone taking that place seriously. Thank God for Home Theater Forum and intelligent people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks