Aint it cool says if FOTR underperforms the post budget for TTT could be cut. BUT...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Rogers, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Wasn't the budget of close to 300 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!! inclusive enough to have the money they need to have polished effects?
    I've never heard of a movie that got its effects budget cut after it was budgeted already????
    Maybe I'm wrong. Someone help me

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Please tell us what movies you are talking about.

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Alan: FOTR = Fellowship of the Ring, as in the first installment of "Lord of the Rings"

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    is it so hard to put the full title of the movie in the header then abreviate in the post???

what movies are these supposed to be?

cant we make a rule...no abreviations in headers?

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Tony,

I closed this thread earlier this morning due to those acronyms and email the thread's originator. He responded as to the names of the films and I then reopened the thread just a little while ago and told him to state the names of the films in his original post. By the way the names are the following:

"Fellowship of the Ring"

"The Two Towers"

Crawdaddy

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    thanks robert. i just couldn't figure out the TTT.

7. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Sorry, nma. (no more acronyms) That was a joke [​IMG]
    But am I right? I thought that original allocation included enough money to polish the films nicely

8. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Jeff-

The $300million is the present total budget for the entire trilogy, including preproduction, principal photography and postproduction. While the portion of that $300million allocated for preproduction and principal has presumably been spent, not all of the post-production money has been (in fact I would guess only the money for post on Fellowship has been spent). I think that what AICN is saying is that if Fellowship isn't a big hit, New Line may cut the budget to less than the initial $300million in order to cut their losses, thus leaving less money for post on the final two films than initially planned. Just because they allocated $300million doesn't mean that the money is already in Peter Jackson's hands. They could easily cut him off if it proves finacially prudent for them to do so.

- Guy

9. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Sorry, forget about the second question there, Jeff. Blade Runner had its FX budget slashed fairly late in the game (after principal photography went over budget) leading to several scenes and FX shots being dropped, including the original opening depicting the androids' escape from an asteroid and Deckard arriving in LA on a futuristic train. Also I believe the post budget on Star Trek V was cut nearly in half after the film was completed, causing much of the "god" scenes to be either scrapped or done using lower-budget techniques. So yes, sadly there is precedent for film budgets to be cut back even after principal is done.

- Guy

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I would think its $100 million per film, and since they already spent as much as they need to for Fellowship, that whatever is left will be spent on the next two films. If Fellowship bombs, then they will probably pull some money out, but it will still be a large amount.

If they only needed around $90 million for each film (theoretically), they could say they were pullin $30 million out of the total budget for all 3 films if the first one bombs and still be OK, correct?

11. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I seriously doubt that the money divides out so nicely between the films, I'm sure a large portion of the money went on the physical filming of the 3 films and equiping WETA (something which still hasn't finished). I do recall in a previous article (might have been AICN) that PJ said one of the first things he would lose if FOTR isn't a big sucess is would be the final edit and cut of the film.

12. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Someting tells me that these movies cost a lot more than 90-100 million dollars a piece. The looks and the scale of these films would warrant a price tage larger than that. Is there an official statement on what these movies cost? I know Lucas had to pay about 110 million for Star Wars, and that was using ILM, which he owns. I looked for an offical figures. All I could come up with is a starting point of 300 million dollars, and that costs were said to have risen quite a bit. Whether or not that's true, don't know.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm doing my part to make it a success, already have 4 viewings booked before X-mas [​IMG]
    Jeff Kleist

14. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

I just don't think it's fair to Peter Jackson to babble all around the world that you are spending 300 million on the trilogy, and then sadly if it disappoints financially to yank the promised....or at least bragged about budget.
    I doubt that New Line will openly come out and talk about with such gusto the cutting of the budget and how it's no longer such a big venture for them.
    I just don't think it't fair, but then again its about$

15. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

People, please keep in mind the source of this "information". [​IMG]

16. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Hubert are you saying that you think PJ doesn't have a chunk of Wingnut films/ Weta?

do not forget people that the 300 Million is in US dollars is at current echange rates 727 Million NZ dollars,....

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

18. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

19. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

I seem to remember reading sonewhere (the article is at home) that PJ started up WETA, so it might be the exact same scenario as GL & ILM.
    Oh, no those are all acronyms.[​IMG]
    Rafael

20. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Could be. I've never heard of WETA or Wingnut. So I really don't know.