What's new

aiming surrounds at celing - anyone had luck with this? (1 Viewer)

Lou Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
the Dolby page shows the alternative placement of surrounds putting them slightly behind the listener, aimed straight up at the ceiling (raised slightly off the ground).

I did a search and saw it stated this can lead to nice dispersion. but my search didn't come across any posts saying they've done this and are pleased with the results.

I know this method is probably not the Best, but it might be an interesting option for my limited space needs. and allow for a larger surround (paradigm Atom). I figure if Dolby lists it, it must have some merit????

thanks.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Hi Lou,
I have a similar problem. I have zero space behind my listening position. I have my surrounds about 6" behind my head pointed toward each other. It sounds pretty good but I'm also looking for alternatives. I'd love to put them 3 feet above the listening postion but since my room is open on one side it would look really funny having a surround hanging way up there in the air :) I think if I placed my surround on the ground or slightly above the ground facing up my cat would decide it was a great place to take a nap.
Darren

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have to try this sometime. In our family room, the couch is back up agains the wall which means the speakers are in line with everyones ears. I have them on 36" stands but I still can localize a lot of the effects in movies. I keep them turned into the backwall a little and this helps but does not fix the problem. I guess dipoles would be the next step.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks