What's new

Aimee Mann's New Album May 3rd (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There's an "iTunes Originals" album in the iTunes Music Store, featuring Mann talking about various subjects along with her music. Seems worth a purchase.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think Lost in Space is the better album.

But I like the songs on Bachelor #2 more.

Does that make any sense? :confused:

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Makes total sense to me. I feel that way about a lot of albums -- that the whole is more than the sum of its parts (and on the flipside, that some records are just a bunch of good songs that don't add up to anything).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Music Today charged my credit card a couple days ago, so perhaps it'll be getting to my mailbox kind of early?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same here Guo, and I also received an email from them confirming that my order is being "processed". An early shipment would be *really* cool. :emoji_thumbsup:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Although I've heard it streamed from her website (great option - all artists should do that) I never got the chance to concentrate 100% on the music as I would with a normal CD or MP3s.

A co-worker got a review copy and let me borrow it - and I have to say I'm enjoying it alot.

There are 3 songs that haven't grabbed me yet, but the other 9 are top notch. I don't think it's as good as Lost in Space or even Bachelor #2 (which are tall orders in my opinion) but it comes close.

Can't wait for it to hit the store shelves.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not to rain on people's parade, but the site says that they're charging CCs now and shipping on the 29th. Hopefully they're reneging on that, but just wanted to prepare people in case they don't get their shipment early.

Of course, we're all just buying this as a tide-over until the MoFi SACD release anyway... ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mine shipped too.

FYI, Aimee's playing a free show at Amoeba records May 3, 7PM to promote her new album. If the Nickel Creek performance there a couple of years ago is any indication, you'll have to line up real early to get in. Nickel Creek nearly packed Amoeba and Aimee's much bigger in L.A. than NC was.

I'm contemplating going, but since it's a workday I may just have to be happy with her H.O.B. Sunset show on Friday. :frowning:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My copy, along with the LE booklet of Forgotten Arm artwork, came in today's mail.

My initial impressions are good, but after the first straight-through listen I find The Forgotten Arm to be a lesser collection of songs than both Lost in Space and Bachelor No. 2. For the most part Aimee's work on this one just didn't latch onto me right off the bat. Standout tracks so far:

2. King of the Jailhouse
6. She Really Wants You
7. Video
8. Little Bombs
9. That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart
10. I Can't Help You Anymore
12. Beautiful

The booklet is just a larger version of the CD insert. Nice, but nothing spectacular.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well I for one love this CD. I'm already on my fourth pass, this time on my comfortable Grado SR60 headphones at work. Tonight I'm going to put The Forgotten Arm through its paces on the Beyer DT880s so I can hear every nuance! (hopefully none of the performers were caught on tape passing gas because these cans will reveal it! ;) )

I will agree that this album may not contain the same type of emotionally resonating songs that, say, Bachelor #2 had. TFA is a concept album, loosely telling the story of John and Caroline as they fall in love and road trip across America. So I didn't expect this one to be chock full of "oh my God, someone gets what I'm going/gone through!" type of songs like Bachelor did. This is really a bold step for Aimee and I for one think it's a great success. Musically she has taken another step forward with this album, and the lyrics she's crafted are top notch. Plus, the packaging is something that quite frankly is almost never done anymore in today's mass-market-music world.

Bravo Aimee!

[FWIW, I think Lost in Space showed that she was going in this direction, as that album was nearly a concept album. The Forgotten Arm I believe is the natural evolution of her music writing based on Bachelor #2, her songs on the Magnolia soundtrack, and Lost in Space]

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I agree about the packaging.

Lost in Space and The Forgotten Arm both have some really nice artwork, and each motif make it feel just that much more special than the average CD packaging.
I like this "novella" motif that TFA has.

As for the music, I initially thought it deserved a rating about 8/10, but after a few more spins I really have to push it up a notch to 9/10. It's a really wonderful CD.

Aimee keeps growing as an artist.

I'm already looking forward to her next release. ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I bet that would actually make Aimee smile ;)

Gosh I hope to have the chance to ask her this Friday... :D

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I just cued it up for another pass, Carlo. The first go seemed like the songs were generic or somethin' along those lines...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oops I misinterpreted your initial comments. I didn't know that was a criticism (I think of TFA as a set of solid songs without a "radio-friendly" hit). So my comment was meant more as "Aimee would probably like that as she didn't set out to write radio hit type of songs on this album, and it's meant to be listened to as a body of work."

Of course, if you thought the songs were generic, that probably wouldn't make her smile :D

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Carlo, it wasn't meant as a critcism at all, just an observation. My second go is about over and I have just found a favourite track, #10, I Can't Help You Anymore.

This album is so straight down the centre of the road she's been on since 'Til Tuesday. It is so, so, so, her generic sound/style. I like the album but it don't shake the earth for me.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Count me in as very impressed (after only one spin). Not on the same level as Bachelor (for me), but I already prefer it over LIS. Great vocal melodies, catchy hooks, but I haven't absorbed the concept portion yet. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks