What's new

Aimee Mann (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit
Never heard Aimee Mann before but am considering a blind (or since this is audio, deaf) buy of the SACD Lost in Space. Any comment on this artist, album or recording will be appreciated.

Amazon recommended A.M. as similar to Tori Amos - would you agree?

Sathyan

NP Cardigans - Long Gone Before Daylight

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I highly recommend Lost in Space. I have the CD, not the SACD, though, so I can't comment on the quality. I noticed that you live in Columbus, that's my hometown (I'm taking summer classes at Miami right now). She'll be performing at the Columbus Zoo Amphitheater on August 10th, so if you like what you hear on the CD, here's more info on the concert.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I think Aimee Mann is a fantastic talent. Very underated.

Her lyrics can cut right to the bone. Cunning and sarcastic. Great stuff.

I highly recommend Lost in Space and her previous one Bachelor #2. I also recommend the Magnolia Soundtrack, which has some incredible songs on it (her song Save Me was nominated for an Oscar).

You can listen to the entire CD of Lost in Space on her website (using Flash). Windows Media Player and Real Audio are also available (but I'm not sure if it's the full song or just a sample for those formats).

http://www.aimeemann.com/ (click "Listen" futher into the site)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I like Lost in Space (CD; don't have the SACD), but I love Bachelor #2. Go ahead and pick it up, if you like female singer/songwriter types.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I still love Aimee in Til Tuesday, I have all the Til Tuesday CDs and none yet of here solo stuff!

Wes

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I think the song Pavlov's Bell is from Lost in Space. This one tune got me hooked on her music and I would love to hear her on DVD A.

Leo

Second Unit
Well today is the release date of her Lost In Space SACD. Gonna try to pick it up today - maybe it will be at Busted Buy (keeping low expectations of course that they'll actually stock the SACD).

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
My only exposure to Aimee Mann is via the Magnolia soundtrack compact disc which I listen to often. Hence, I second the Magnolia recommendation if you don't mind a lower definition format.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
maybe it will be at Busted Buy (keeping low expectations of course that they'll actually stock the SACD).
Leo,

The Best Buy on Haynes Bridge near North Point still has a good collection of SACDs out front, although inventory is down. Might be worth a trip if Gwinnett disappoints you.

Also, the Media Play on North Point Parkway has been having the best local selection IMHO.

:)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Another enthusiastic recommendation for Aimee Mann. I'd start with Bachelor No. 2, then Lost in Space, Magnolia and I'm with Stupid. Don't own her debut, Whatever, but it's on the buy list.

Leo

Second Unit
Well I'll just do the smart thing and order the disc. Save me the drive since MediaPlay (Gwinnett) and Tower Records don't have them in stock.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Great disc! I'm also a Tori Amos fan and I think I saw the same recommendations from checking out the latest Tori CD. I saw some good recommendations here and listened to a bunch of her songs from her website and picked up Lost in Space. I'm glad I did. I remember her from Til Tuesday and also from Time Stand Still from Rush's CD. Wasn't Aimee Mann and Geddy Lee an item at one point?

Anyway, I enjoy the CD version alot.

Jay

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
:b I loved Til' Tuesday. I always wished they'd made more albums. I never bothered to learn Aimee's name or looked her up. I just thought she (Til Tuesday) was out of the music biz. I've snaped into action to rectify the situation. I ordered LOST IN SPACE on SACD, and I got a CD of "WHATEVER" which is playing now. Thar she blows, it's tuesday again!

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
i wouldn't peg aimee mann as similar to tori amos unless you're only going by the fact that they're both female singer/songwriters. i've seen both of them live many times, and their fans are very different as well.

i didn't like lost in space at first, but i'm starting to enjoy it more. the love = drugs references are interesting.

"Baby, please--let me begin
Let me be your heroin
Hate the sinner but love the sin
Let me be your heroin"

"If you're what I need then only you can save me
So come on baby - give me the fix"

very cool.

i think she may have peaked with B#2, others will likely say differently. i also think whatever is the weakest of her solo albums as a whole, but it still contains some fine songs.

til tuesday's final album, everything's different now, was essentially an aimee solo album, and i feel it is much better than whatever.

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
I would agree that she is not really like tori amos at all so don't buy it based on that comparison.. she is more like a sarah mclachlan maybe then tori amos.. though that is not the best comparison either.. anyway she has some great stuff and I think "lost in space" is probably one of her best if not her best. Her earlier stuff is not nearly as good though so stick witht he later stuff to get introduced. Starting with the magnolia soundtrack she really picks up steam. I thought about getting the sacd but wasnt sure how much of a difference there would be fromt he CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks