What's new

Aimee Mann: Lost in Space (Special Edition) (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Didn't see this posted anywhere...

For those of you who are big Aimee Mann fans, she's releasing a Special Edition of Lost in Space which will be limited to 20,000 copies.

Disc 1 will contain the same tracks as the previous version, Disc 2 will contain 6 Live tracks, 2 b-sides that was only made available in the original Limited Edition CD, and 2 new unreleased songs.

Track Listing:

Disc: 1

1. Humpty Dumpty
2. High On Sunday 51
3. Lost In Space
4. This Is How It Goes
5. Guys Like Me
6. Pavlov's Bell
7. Real Bad News
8. Invisible Ink
9. Today's The Day
10. The Moth
11. It's Not

Disc: 2

1. Real Bad News (Live)
2. The Moth (Live)
3. This Is How It Goes (Live)
4. The Scientist (Live)
5. Invisible Ink (Live)
6. It's Not (BBC)
7. Nightmare Girl (B-side)
8. Backfire (B-side)
9. Fighting The Stall (Unreleased)
10. Observatory (Unreleased)

and Pavlov's Bell music video.

I'm glad I didn't double-dip by picking up the SACD... as this version offers alot more bang for the buck over the SACD.

Probably overkill for the casual fan, but this is a must-have for me.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'd be all over this if there were a version that included the SACD. I already have the original CD, and love it, but can't see getting a second copy of the standard CD.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wow, even though I *have* double-dipped on the SACD I may be tempted to pick this up for the live stuff and unreleased tracks. I simply love Lost in Space. It's one of those rare collections of songs I find myself drawn to more and more with each listen and I definitely think it's Aimee's best work to date.

Any word on when this is coming out and how much it will be?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well since I can't find the SACD anywhere locally (and don't yet have an SACD player) I guess I'll double dip on this one.

Do we know if this is going to be available at the big chains (I know it's only 20,000 run but still, maybe one of the big three will get copies)?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad I didn't double-dip by picking up the SACD... as this version offers alot more bang for the buck over the SACD.
You may change your mind if you hear the SACD... it's one of the finest sounding pop SACDs I've heard. And even if you don't have SACD-capability, the red book layer on the MFSL disc is a definite improvement over the original CD.

Perhaps someone might want to trade me a CD-R of the live disc for a CD-R of the MFSL red book transfer? If you have SACD capabilities, then I'd recommend you just buy the MFSL... if not, perhaps someone would consider my offer? ;)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

I have a SACD player, and I've heard good things about the SACD sound quality, but from my experience - newer recordings don't offer as big of an improvement in sound quality... whereas the older stuff (from analog masters)make a much bigger difference IMO.

I shyed away from the SACD in the first place because the price was outrageous - $36 CAD (before taxes and S&H) at Amazon.ca.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the 2nd disc also comes with the music video for Pavlov's Bell - if that sorta stuff floats anyone's boat.
Editing my initial post to include this.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah... MFSL discs are and always have been real pricey. But they're doing some great work on SACD. The Patricia Barber titles are reference discs, and I just can't believe what they managed to pull out of that old, highly produced Isaac Hayes title. And don't think that just 'cause it's a new pop title that they can't do it well... that Aimee Mann production is really fine, even given the unusual "instrumentation". Plus, they lay off the compressers and limiters and other digital crap that ruins the mastering of even well-recorded music to CD. Not that the original "Lost in Space" CD was very bad, but it's not as good as the MFSL red book and not even in the same ballpark as the SACD layer.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I ordered this a couple of weeks ago, I own the 'regular' edition. But the contents on Disc 2 was enough to convince me of a re-purchase, i've never heard Aimee live and probably won't be able to. Her albums are hard to find without ordering and I had to buy her first 2 solo albums from Amazon because they don't even sell them here. So this is about the closest I can get to a live recording even if it is a few tracks.

Has anyone here seen Aimee live? How was the show?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Has anyone here seen Aimee live? How was the show?
I saw her on the recent tour for "Lost In Space". The band was terrific, and Aimee sounded great. To me, it seemed the band was very intent on the preformance rather than being theatrical, so it wasn't a wild show. Aimee told a couple funny stories between songs, and did a good sampling of her solo career (happily including one of my favorites, "That's Just What You Are"). She did not give in to the doofus shouting "Voices Carry!" from the back.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I saw her in August, and one of the parts I remember most vividly was during "The Moth" when she started singing "So come on, let's go, ready or not." I thought the lighting job was very nice and the blend of lights going on and off and the music totally clicked during that part of the song. The lighting job was basically the same thing during the whole show, so the song definitely helped. :)

Since there's going to be a live version of "The Moth" on it, I'm going to have to get it. I bought the regular edition used, so I wouldn't lose much by selling it.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

why not? she's done an excellent version of it in recent years. i've seen her the last 5 or 6 times that she's passed through this town (solo and with michael penn), and perhaps once she didn't play it.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
why not? she's done an excellent version of it in recent years.
I didn't know she still performed the song. I just got the impression that someone screaming "Voices Carry!" at an Aimee Mann concert was like the guy who always shouts "Freebird!"... But I will say that the other audience members shouting requests had diverse choices. I hate concerts where the audience seems to be there for one hit and could care less about the rest of the material, so this show was a nice change of pace.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
ah, understandable. the first time i heard her play it, i didn't recognize it for the first minute or so. hopefully you'll get to hear it soon. it's a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks