What's new

Aimee Mann LIVE AT ST. ANN'S WAREHOUSE DVD/CD (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
You're exactly right, Cameron! I checked the HD Net webpage:
Sun., Nov. 14th 9:00 PM ET; 6:00 PM PT
Aimee Mann Live in Brooklyn - Premiere
Academy Award and Grammy nominated singer/songwriter Aimee Mann taped in Brooklyn, NY during her '04 summer tour. The show includes Ms. Mann's "Save Me" and "Wise Up" from the Magnolia soundtrack, as well as 2 new songs. Following the concert is an interview with Aimee and her band.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I forget at what part it was at but she sure embarrassed the guitarist when she tried to guess his sign.
biggrin.gif

jim_arrows

Auditioning
Can anyone who saw the HDnet performance compare it with the DVD? Are there any significant extras on the DVD beyond the interviews that were aired following the concert performance on HDnet?

Thanks,
Jim

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I had to send my DVD back to Deep Discount for exchange, so I can't compare the extras. But the HDNet image was significantly better than the DVD's. Not surprising, given the additional resolution.

M.

jim_arrows

Auditioning
Thanks Michael, the reason I asked is because the only reason I'd buy the DVD is for the extras, as I already have the HD recorded on the Tivo. Can anyone else tell me if there are any extras besides the interviews?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, there is a live CD in the release, which has a slightly different set list from the DVD.

jim_arrows

Auditioning

Rich, since it was originally shot on HD Video, 3:2 pulldown shouldn't be necessary; 3:2 is only required when converting 24fps film sourced material to 30fps video (e.g. when transferring a movie shot on film to the dvd format).

jim_arrows

Auditioning

Thanks Cameron, I knew about the live CD (not really an incentive for me since I always prefer the studio versions), but I do appreciate the info. I guess I'll hold off on the DVD since it doesn't appear to have anything extraordinary on it. Maybe Santa can put it in my stocking... :)

Anyone know of any plans for a Mofi version of her upcoming release ("King of the Jailhouse" I believe she said would be the title)?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to revive this in case any Aimee fans hadn't bought it yet: the audio quality is superb on the concert DVD!

And it sounds like the real deal too!

Last night I was able to see Aimee perform at The Largo in Hollywood w/ all of her band from the DVD minus the drummer (not enough stage room). And she performed ALL OF HER NEW, UPCOMING ALBUM, which is a concept album, and I can say that I think it will be an EXCELLENT addition to her catalog. Then after playing the 12 new songs (a couple of which are on the DVD) she played some old faves which the audience requested.

She sounds just fabulous live and on the DVD. It was an amazing show (less than 200 people I would think, as the Largo is small). But I can tell you there is little post-production going on in the DVD sound...she really does sound that great live! She doesn't need help from mixing engineers! :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I seem to recall reading (I believe it was in the Music Direct newsletter) that Aimee and MFSL had inked a deal not only for "Bachelor" and "Space", but also her upcoming stuff. I figured she'd be sorta like Patricia Barber in term or her ongoing relationship with MFSL.

But I'd love to know for sure!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Carlo - You're a lucky guy! I'd have loved to have been there to hear all of her new material, particularly in such a small venue. As it was I was fortunate enough to catch her at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C. (also fairly small) the night before she recorded the St. Ann's Warehouse performance in New York. She and the band were awesome, and the DVD is a great testament to their talent onstage. My wife, who I sort of dragged along with me to the show, became a fan that night.

While the DVD has some authoring problems that do not affect video or audio quality, at $13.99 for the DVD/CD set it's a fantastic bargain on one of the best music releases of the year. Can't wait for her new CD, particularly if Mobile Fidelity releases an SACD. Woo-hoo!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I love the DVD as well, the sound is great and the performance is even better. I didn't realise how funny she was, she has a good thing going on with the crowd. You guys are lucky to catch her in these small intimate venues, its a shame that i'll probably never get to see one of her live performances. :frowning:

Carlo, did she happen to give an approximate timeframe for the release?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No, no one asked. But I would bet early 2005, since the songs and obviously the song order is done. She performed the songs in order (being a concept album) except she screwed up and forgot one, joked about it, and played it anyway.

And yes, she's hilarious live. She has a great sense of humor and had quite a few zingers and choice comments last night.

And yeah, we can get spoiled by these intimate venues. As she walked offstage I literally could have reached out and touched her (but I didn't, it would have been inappropriate).

And Nickel Creek are fans of her, because I saw all three of them there at the show (they play Largo too).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just in case you folks haven't seen this, Aimee's new CD will be titled The Forgotten Arm. Here's the release announcement from Billboard, and you can find the direct link HERE .

--------

billboard.com -November 15, 2004, 3:45 PM ET

Mann Channels The '70s On 'Forgotten Arm'

Singer/songwriter Aimee Mann revisits an earlier time and place on her next Superego album, "The Forgotten Arm," due in March. "It's a concept album and the concept, the vibe of the album, kind of dictated it," she tells Billboard.com. "It takes place in the '70s, and there were these sort of pictures in my mind that led me to a really specific sound."

The Superego release marks a departure from past Mann albums in that it was recorded very quickly and with a live studio band, which required very few overdubs. Tracks include "Dear John" and "That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart."
I'm really excited about it," says Mann. "For me, it's a very different way to record and I think the songs are a little bit different. I never know if that difference really translates to other people, but to me it seems pretty radically different from my other records."

"The Forgotten Arm" is the follow-up to 2002's "Lost in Space," which debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's Top Independent Albums chart. Mann says she will likely begin touring around the release date, which may include an appearance at the annual South by Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas.

However, fans can get a sneak preview of sorts on the recently released DVD/CD "Aimee Mann Live at St. Anne's Warehouse," which includes new album tracks "Going Through the Motions" and "King of the Jailhouse."

Mann says filming the obligatory behind-the-scenes and interview footage for her maiden DVD was a unique experience.

"It's always hard for me to believe that people really want to know the minutiae of what my favorite song is or what the band thinks about playing with me," she admits. "It's hard for me to think that would be interesting for anyone but I have to remind myself that anyone who buys a live DVD is probably interested in the artist enough."

-- John Benson, Cleveland

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks