What's new

AIM changing display settings? (1 Viewer)

Josh Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone help with this problem?

I am running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension with 2.4 and 512 ram. I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 video card.

My daughter has been using AIM (AOL Instant messenger) without any problems for the past year or so. Last Sunday when she tried to open it, the display settings went from 1024x768 32bit color with an 85 Hertz refresh rate to 480x640 256 color and a 60h refresh rate.

I have tried uninstalling AIM, I reinstalled my video card driver, but every time I open AIM, it switches settings and if I exit out of AIM, it switches back to the correct settings.

I have no clue why this happened or how to fix it.

One other interesting note, I have 2 user accounts on the computer, 1 for me and one for my wife. If I open aim in her account, it is fine. When I switch to my account the settings are messed up again.

If anyone can help I really appreciate it as I won’t let my daughter use it til I figure out what is happening and anyone with a teen knows, that is cause for a LOT of arguments.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

CRyan

Screenwriter
Right click on the executable - choose properties. Click on the compatibility tab. More than likely someone has gone in and set it to open in 256 640x480.

Thats it.

C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks