AIM, Bittorent works but Internet Explorer, iTunes music store does not?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam Lenhardt, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I have a really weird problem in which the internet works, but the world wide web does not. I can be IMing right along and get "This page cannot be displayed" on the web. What's weird is, any site that I visit before the problem strikes still works. Any new address that needs to be resolved does not. If I'm already doing a Google search, I can make new Google searches but not visit any of the results, nor check news.google.com, nor check Gmail, for instance.
    Until an hour ago, I had my netgear router set to static IP because that was the only connection type that would work. Since I set it to Dynamic IP, I haven't had a problem but there hasn't been enough time to tell.

So can any IT wizards out there tell me what could be causing such a weird — and frustrating — problem?

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Looks like a problem with your DNS to me. The server(s) you use to resolve IP numbers seems to stop working for some reason - either the server you are using is overworked or broken and sees blips in its service or there is some connection or routing related problem preventing DNS lookups.

Since you switched the router to DHCP it should be getting info about what DNS server(s) to use alongside its dynamic IP, and that may be different from what you had set up statically before... that might alleviate your problem entirely if you're lucky.

The reason you can reach sites you had visited before is that your PC caches the DNS information locally. Sites you have recently visited do not cause a DNS lookup to the DNS server, but if there is no DNS information in your cache a lookup is done - and if the server is unreachable for some reason you won't be doing much surfing unless you know the IP address you want to reach and enter those numbers manually instead of the site name in your address bar.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Since I switched to DHCP, I haven't had any problems. Thanks for your help!

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

That's one reason why ISP's (and IT departments in companies) usually use DHCP. The clients just adapt to what settings the administrators want them to use, so if they need to change out the DNS server IP numbers for instance they can with no service disruption to the users.

If they have to run around resetting DNS settings for every user on the network however it would be a nightmare.