Ahmet Ertegun, Music Executive, Dies at 83

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
From the New York Times:

Ahmet Ertegun, the music magnate who founded Atlantic Records and shaped the careers of John Coltrane, Ray Charles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and many others, died yesterday in Manhattan. He was 83.

A spokesman for Atlantic Records said the death was the result of a brain injury suffered when Mr. Ertegun fell backstage at the Beacon Theater in Manhattan on Oct. 29 as the Rolling Stones prepared to play a concert that marked former President Bill Clinton’s 60th birthday. He had been in a coma since then.

“Few people have had a bigger impact on the record industry than Ahmet,” David Geffen, the entertainment mogul, said yesterday in a telephone interview from Los Angeles, “and no one loved American music more than he did.”

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Ertegun was to popular music what the late Lamar Hunt was to professional football here in the USA: a visible, yet humble visionary that literally changed the world.

Without Ertegun, I don't think much of the rock n' roll revolution would be possible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I'm surprised there hasn't been more responding to this thread. Very sad news indeed, he was one of the greats that helped bring R&B mainstream.

Crawdaddy

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Not to mention the number of major classic rock artists who came to prominence on Atlantic -- Zeppelin, Yes, Cream, King Crimson, Derek & The Dominoes, CSN, etc.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I was also surprised, Ahmet was...important.
As far as an explanation, not everyone reads liner notes (I know, it IS hard to believe) and then there's the business crime of downloading, so, no liner notes at all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Including the Stones. He was up there with Gordy, Phillips, Specter and a few others that really shaped the music world over the last 50 or so years.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro