What's new

Ahhhh (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
OMFG. I got a speeding ticket.
134 in a 100, I was actually going 141, but she marked it down. Why would you wanna be a cop? just to make people's lives miserable.
My parents are gonna kill me, and this is gonna rape my insurance :frowning: :angry: :thumbsdown:
Screw this! is there a country where there are no speed limits? germany? I'm moving there!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ya don't follow the rules..you're gonna get burned...live with it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Oh you Canadians always use that there "meterical" system to exaggerate your little monkeyshines in the face of Johnny Law. What the heck is 134 in MPH, 15? 20? Did Dudley Doright pull you over on his horse? ;)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Before your parents kill you, ask them if they've ever gotten a speeding ticket.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I know it does. I was just being a stereotypical dumb American.

To the OP, I found out, after finally working off my "youthful indiscretions" from my insurance (which are far more expensive than any fine) that it is better just to go the limit +5 (+10 at most). Figure out how many minutes you save on average and you'll realize it is not worth it.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Dunno how it is in Canada but in Cali one speeding ticket won't kill ya. A speeding violation is counted as one point on your driving record and you don't lose your "good driver" status with many insurances until you hit two points. Plus the court often allows you to get back that point if you attend traffic school. Of course there are limitations to all of this.

At any rate, if this is your first offense then maybe Canada has similar programs to allow you a mulligan.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
While I agree that tickets suck. It's the above mentality that REALLY bothers me. Why do people break the law and then take their agressions out on the cop when they get caught?

If you've ever run into a cop who was being a prick, it's ALWAYS because that cop has to deal with other peoples attitudes on a daily basis.

People get SO angry when they break a law and get caught. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The one time I got a ticket, I got REALLY angry! At first I was mad at the cop, then I realized WHY I was so angry. It wasn't because the cop stopped me....I was angry at myself for doing what I did.

It sucks that people have to turn that anger (of themselves) and displace it at the cop. That's why cops have such a hard job and that's why they often act like pricks. I don't envy them AT ALL!

Janna S

Second Unit
Do you have any idea how dangerous plain, ordinary, just-a-few-miles-over-the-limit speeding is? Not just to you, but to all persons on the road, including those poor unfortunates who aren't blessed with your quick reflexes, perfect eyesight, and fabulous control of a vehicle that's in tip-top shape.

More fodder for what I sometimes think - that many males shouldn't be allowed to drive until they are at least 35 years old, married or attached, parenting or at least caring about a child or two, making car payments, paying for health and car and life insurance, experienced with spending a few nights watching over someone in a hospital bed, and aware of their own (and everyone else's) mortality.

signed, old fuddy duddy . . . .

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I know, I'm just mad at myself. And I only have a G2 lisence. I'm not sure there is an equivalent in the states, It's higher than a beginners, but not quite a full lisence, So I can only have 9 points, and i just got 4 today

chris_everett

Second Unit
You were (in mph) going 87 in a 62, and she was _nice_ enough to mark the ticket down, and your still complaining?? I can understand a complaint when it's less than 10 over, but geez...

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Like others have said, if you were going 67 mph or so in a 62 I'd be right there with ya.

But 83 in a 62.. sorry pal, Live and learn.

5 mph is a very good rule of thumb in all places except school zones. You can also usually get away with driving 65 mph in a 55 mph zone on the interstate in big cities.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
In the town of Elsmere where I live, the cops around here have absolute zero tolerance for speeders, I swear in the three years i've lived here i've seen enough people pulled over to fill three entire seasons of Cops.

Here you must go at or below the speed limit, one mile above it and your screwed.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Hmmm, my one and only speeding ticket was for doing 96 in a 50 (that's km/h, not mph). Before you guys think I was a madman, in my defence it was a straight deserted road that was the offshoot from the expressway. And the limit has since been increased to 60, showing that even the authorities felt the old limit was too low (but that would still have been 36 above...)

Anyway, here that meant 12 demerits, you're allowed 24 in 2 years. So I'm one red light (also 12 pts) from being required to attend a mandatory driving course.

At least insurance-wise, I only lost the 5% "good-driver" bonus discount, which I regain when the 12 pts are wiped out 2 years after the infraction.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I just moved to Illinois recently and just the other day I got a speeding ticket. Second one in ten years. Anyway. I was stunned when the cop said he was taking my license. Apparently it's the way they do things here. I really wanted to question him on the whole process but didn't want to come off like an asshole.

Apparently if you just send in the money (like I was going to do) they make you take a day of traffic school. But if you go to court they "usually" let you go with "supervision" (which I assume means probabtion). On the plus side, unless the court deems it necessary they don't tell your insurance.

But the thing that -- I'd say "pisses me off" but that's too strong -- is that they confiscate your license. This is a huge inconvience. I get asked for my license when I use my credit card -- and I put everything on my CC -- so now I have to explain it everywhere I go and what the hell am I going to use to prove it's my card? Today I had to use my Costco card (with pic) and let them see a sig on a different CC.

The driver's license is a recognized form of photo ID which is the first thing you get asked for. And here they just take it for three weeks...

-paul

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Paul,

That is terrible. I would definitely write/call your representatives as well the police because that is a ridiculous policy.

Why in the world would a police officer need your license? If a cop said he was taking my license I would have to say, "No, you aren't. Here is my lawyer."

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

Wow, you carry your lawyer around in your car? Damn, if you can afford that a speeding fine should be chicken feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks