Ahhh those good 'ol college days...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ChrisHeflen, Sep 9, 2004.

1. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

"College is a fountain of knowledge, to which everyone gos to drink"

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

She was a friend of mine. Your sympathy is noted.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

frat dues: 3,000$
    college tuition: 15,000$
    finding a dead cheerleader while showing your mom your frat house: priceless

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

yea that pretty much sucks. glad I was never cool enough to join a frat.

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

And things just get better and better for CSU. They were having riots due to parties just a few weeks back (start of school.) Time to start cracking down I guess.

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

The independant mentality.[​IMG]

8. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

So the question that will soon be settled in court(presumung she wasnt drugged) is one of wether of not she or the fraternity is responsible for her alcohol induced death. Though she was under the age of 21, she also was an adult and responsible for her own actions...

9. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'm not sure who is suing who (the parents don't seem like they blame the fraternity or the school in the articles I read), but the fraternity pretty much CYA'ed by dissolving the chapter. As a former fraternity member (business, not social, although we were pretty social at times), the national organizations are very conscious of liability (thats why they are all headquartered in IN), and have already limited their risk.

It truly is a shame what happened to Sam, but the fact of the matter is that binge drinking is not going to go away on college campuses...its been around pretty much since the turn of the century (and probably before that). My personal opinion is that the more they attempt to regulate it, the more it goes underground and in places that there are no checks and safety mechanisms to cut people off.

10. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

It's been around since 2000?

Where were this girl's friends to look after her?

Expecting college kids not to drink is ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as having the legal drinking age set at 21, which is the highest in the world outside of countries that ban alcohol altogether [Saudi, Kuwait, etc.].

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I was listening to an interview show recently about "party schools", and the guest expert stated that there is a higher rate of alcohol abuse among college graduates than among those who didn't go to college. If true, it seems to indicate that colleges (in general) don't help kids learn to deal with alcohol responsibily, but foster destructive behavior.

As for this situation, I've not idea what happened, but it would seem a totally senseless loss of life. Her parents must be devastated.

12. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Bwahahahahaha! Gotta love the frat boy's spelling.

I'm curious though, why is the frat being blamed in this case? I understand when it's part of the initiation, in which case the other members really should be tried with murder or something, but I doubt she was being initiated. Is it just because they had alcohol there?

13. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Yep, that was pretty funny, I misspelled a word. Hey everybody, look at the dumb frat boy!

14. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Your comments, or the sentiments that it might allude to, are both ignorant & insulting. Considering that a significant portion of the membership here might be a member of some fraternity, you might have chosen your words more wisely.

Have you ever TRIED to pledge a fraternity? Do you know what you're talking about? Or have you watched Animal House & Revenge of the Nerds as your sole frames of reference?

I'm a proud brother of a fraternity, and I can honestly say that it's one of the best decisions I ever made. I joined a fraternity in my second year of university. I was a commuter (living at home, going to school during the day, working to support myself, etc) while completing my computer science degree... and let me tell you, I was MISERABLE. The University experience was passing me by, and after my first year of what seemed like "work work work lab work sleep repeat", I knew that I needed to shake things up a bit. The "social" scene in Computer Science in the mid to late 90's was... well... lacking (to say the least), so after having talked with a friend who pledged the previous year, I decided to go for it. After being initiated, the university experience improved for me dramatically!

Few people understand the benefits of what a fraternity can provide a student. It's more than parties - it's an exposure to an organized structure... the opportunity to network, make contacts, take the lead in organizing events, and make new friends. A fraternity is goverened by an organization (much like a business, with a president, treasurer, secretary, etc), and there are strict RULES and REGULATIONS that dictate how brothers conduct themselves. My fraternity had to follow strict FIPG (Insurance) guidelines with rules against hazing, underage drinking, and strict guidelines for parties & social events.

Yes - certain chapters do stupid things... just like certain people/groups/organizations/companies do stupid things. But like everything else, you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

Moe.

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I always love the frat v. no frat arguments [​IMG]

Maybe some of you are too old, or were in frats and don't remember/realize how annoying frat people can be. Nothing is cooler than when you first meet someone you're greeted with "my name is bob, I'ma member of XYZ!!"
    Networking, structure, great. But using your frat to define who you are? Okie dokily.

and to think I haven't even said "frat brotha dick sucka" yet.
    it's from a song, just can't remember which, before you get your togas in a bunch.

16. Moe Maishlish

I'm 28 (well, 29 in 3 weeks), so University was not THAT long ago for me... and in all my years at university I was never once privy to a "my name is bob, I'm a member of XYZ!!" line. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's not like all fraternities are mandated to shameless promotions of themselves.

Moe.

17. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yes that was a hasty statement. Unfortunately frats will always have that preppy demeanor to me. And just for fun, this is what I think of when I think a frat:

http://content.collegehumor.com/medi.../the_fight.avi

Just stereotypes I know, and stories like the topic don't help the situation, but it's fun to joke about it especially if you're not in a fraternity. [​IMG]

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I don't expect them to not drink, but I do expect them to be smart enough not to drink themselves to death.

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Well, you're not exactly unbiased either [​IMG]

20. Moe Maishlish

No, maybe not... but I can say that I'm speaking from experience.

Of course, people who didn't join a fraternity/sorority aren't exaclty unbiased either. They're on the OTHER side of the coin. [​IMG]

moe.