What's new

Ahhh... New repatory cinema calendars. (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone else get as much of a thrill out of these as I do? Whether you receive them in the mail or just happen to be walking by the theater and see that there's a new one out, they're a promise of two months of film that you might not otherwise get to see on the big screen (or at all).
Take, for example, the November/December Brattle Theater schedule I just picked up. Right away, I can see that my Mondays and Thursdays are going to be spoken for, with screwball comedies on the former and Brigitte Lin/Michelle Yeoh double features on the latter. Thanksgiving weekend promises a single-admission double feature of Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon. Christmas weekend delivers another double feature, It's A Wonderful Life and Wings Of Desire (an inspired pairing, and it fits into the Tuesday Jim Jarmusch/Wim Wenders series). The weekends feature new films by Allison Anders, Marc Forster, and Jan Svankmajer. And it almost kills me that I'll have to leave the French Connection DVDs on the shelf for a while because the Brattle will feature a new 35mm print (if you can see a movie in a crowded, enthusiastic theater before seeing it on DVD... Well, do it, right?).
The anticipation two months ago was even more extreme, since they closed the theater down for a week or so for renovations and I had no idea what was coming until just a few days before they re-opened. At the same time, I was waiting for the Boston Film Festival schedule... It was torture, I tell you!
I've got a friend who's a big football fan, and when the NFL releases their schedule, he spends the next day or so poring over it, figuring out which matchups intrigue him most and which ones he hopes get on TV in our area. It's sort of the same excitement I get looking over the new Brattle calendar and, to a lesser extent, the Coolidge Corner emails. I never got really excited about the programs Portland, Maine's "The Movies At Exchange Street" sent out, since they only tended to feature one movie a week and then, seldom any real variety (as Portland's only boutique house, they would wind up showing Il Postino for three weeks), but then again, I wasn't casting my net quite as wide then.
So, who else eagerly awaits the rep-house calendars? And tell us what they're promising for the next few weeks; even if we're far away, they tend to have great rental suggestions (which is why I don't throw them away).
BTW, for those in the Boston area who have never been to The Brattle, what's wrong with you? Especially with the new facelift! Their site - www.brattlefilm.org - doesn't have the November/December schedule up yet, but should soon. Also check out Coolidge Corner www.coolidge.org .
[Edited last by Jason Seaver on October 22, 2001 at 11:10 AM]

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Jason,
I went to the Brattle theater website and my jaw hit the floor. This is EXACTLY the kind of theater I love and want to see in Victoria. I tell ya, I'd be at the Brattle almost daily or get a job there. :)
The closest we have is the UVIC Cinecenta, an excellent repetory/second run/art/indie house at the University of Victoria, that runs films on a 2-3 day schedule. Admission is $6.75 but members can get in as low as $4.75 with a 10 film punch card.
Check out the website here: http://www.uvss.uvic.ca/cinecenta
If I ever decide to come to Boston, Jason (I have a few other friends there as well) you're going to have to take me to the Brattle. Damn you for showing me the website! :)
Jay
------------------
Link RemovedLink Removed
epi101_photo1.jpg

[email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Clown college? You can't eat that!" Homer Simpson
My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know... That one you've got there is pretty sweet:
THE WIZARD OF OZ 12:30 matinee
THE SCORE 2:30 matinee, 7:00 & 9:25
ARMY OF DARKNESS 11:50
I mean, yikes!
You come to Boston, I'll get you to the Brattle. I live right down the street, having chosen my apartment in part for its proximity. :)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The Boston Museum of Fine arts also has a fine theater and shows some great films. Over the past few months, I've been especially pleased with the Kon Ichikawa retrospective, the Eric Rohmer series, and the Soviet Films of the 60s series (included a showing of Tarkovsky's IVAN'S CHILDHOOD).
Presently, they're continuing the ongoing Frederick Wiseman series, a series on Iranian films, and the newly restored print of von Stroheim's THE BLUE ANGEL will be screened on 11/23 and 11/25.
(Go here for more info: http://www.mfa.org/cgi-bin/webevent....encal&cal=cal2 )

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Jason, I may be seeing Army of Darkness on saturday with some friends. It plays yearly at midnight screenings around this time (as does 35mm prints of Strange Brew, some 3D Monster films, Bakshi's Lord of the Rings which they OWN). Their schedule isn't as amazing as it used to be, but they've never played a film there that's gotten a zero star rating from me, so that's a good thing. :)
Here's what they are playing in the future, in order, from October 28th:
Shrek
Wizard of Oz
The King is Dancing
Time Regained
The Others
Jay and Silent Bob
Revenge of the Creature in 3D
Moulin Rouge (once on November 4th and 5th, and December 18th and 19th)
The Seventh Seal ...Bergman!!
The Wind Will Carry Us
The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Memento
Saving Private Ryan (Rememberence Day)
Greenfingers
Calle 54
Himalaya (once on Nov 16/17, also Dec 16/17)
O
Kiss of the Dragon
Divided We Fall
Iron Monkey
Rat Race
The Closet
Man With A Movie Camera (Fried Egghead live performance)
Siberia
Zoolander
Lord of the Rings (Bakshi)
Innocence
Dark Days
Baraka
Margaret Cho: I'm The One That I Want
2001 Cannes International Advertising Festival
Strange Brew
The Gleaners And I
Serendipity
Deep River (Japanese 1995 film, free admission)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
It's A Wonderful Life Annual Xmas closing film. Theater does not reopen until January 2nd.
A lot of good stuff, but I've seen a lot of it at other theaters. Still, those Jack Lemmon screenings at the Brattle make me very jealous.
That's it, I'm moving to Boston! :)
Jason
------------------
Link RemovedLink Removed
epi101_photo1.jpg

[email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Clown college? You can't eat that!" Homer Simpson
My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm paying $4.50 to see The Odd Couple AND The Fortune Cookie tonight. :)
Here's the Brattle's November/December:
2 - 8 Nov: La Cienaga
MONDAYS - Screwball Comedy
12 Nov: The Philadelphia Story
19 Nov: Palm Beach Story & The Lady Eve
26 Nov: Trouble In Paradise & My Man Godfrey
3 Dec: Bringing Up Baby
10 Dec: The Awful Truth & His Girl Friday
17 Dec: A Night At The Opera
TUESDAYS - "A Stranger Pair - Jim Jarmusch & Wim Wenders"
13 Nov: Stranger Than Paradise & Down By Law
20 Nov: Buena Vista Social Club & Year Of The Horse
27 Nov: Mystery Train & The End Of Violence
4 Dec: Paris, Texas
11 Dec: Dead Man
18 Dec: Million Dollar Hotel & Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai
WEDNESDAYS - Recent Raves
14 Nov: Vengo
21 Nov: Monty Python & The Holy Grail
28 Nov: Signs & Wonders & The King Is Alive
5 Dec: Apocalypse Now Redux
12 Dec: The Riddle
12 Dec: Cure
19 Dec: The Turnadot Project
THURSDAYS - "Swordswomen - Brigitte Lin & Michelle Yeoh"
15 Nov: Zu: Warriors From The Magic Mountain & Holy Weapon
22 Nov: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (good of them to show the one everyone's already seen on Thanksgiving :))
29 Nov: The Bride With White Hair & Heroic Trio
6 Dec: Chunking Express & Supercop
13 Dec: Swordsman II & Butterfly And Sword
20 Dec: Wing Chun & Dragon Inn
WEEKENDS - Special Engagements
9 - 11 Nov: Things Behind The Sun
11 Nov: Secrets Of Silicon Valley
16 Nov: History Lessons & Nitrate Kisses
17 Nov: History Lessons & Aimee & Jaguar
18 Nov: History Lessons & Orlando
23 - 25 Nov: Casablanca & The Maltese Falcon
30 Nov - 2 Dec: Audition
7 - 9 Dec: The French Connection
7 - 9 Dec: Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
14 - 16 Dec: Everything Put Together
14 - 16 Dec: City Of Lost Children
21 - 25 Dec: It's A Wonderful Life & Wings Of Desire
26 Dec - 1 January: Little Otik
Most of the programs are double features, so $7.50 ($4.50 for members) lets you watch all night (I spent $4.50 to see The Godfather I & II this way).
[Edited last by Jason Seaver on October 22, 2001 at 02:26 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks