What's new

Ahhh...computers & networks...what fun (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm so proud of myself. Got a new linksys 4 port router yesterday and got myself all setup last night. This morning got my PPC Linux box on the network, setup apache, perl, python, and my dyndns account.
Its compiling perl and python now, but I think I need a faster box now :) Going to be running my web server on a 180Mhz 604e PPC chip (an old powercomputing PowerTower 180e). Good thing is that now I'll be able to telnet home from work and have my cable modem download stuff for me so its there when I get home at the end of the day. Or maybe setup a streaming mp3 server (need more HD space for that though) for other computers in my apartment...
Good fun
------------------
Michael Alletto
Mike's DVD List

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
What flavour of LinuxPPC are you using? I used to have the Linksys router, but sold it in favor of a P90 with clarkconnect installed, if you haven't heard about this, check it out at http://www.pointclark.net , it's a router, firewall, locally cached DNS server, samba server, apache web server, runs on a P90 w/14MB RAM FLAWLESSLY! I'm using it to serve my network now. Oh, and it also utilizes DNS forwarding for those of us with dynamic IP's, great product. I'm a PPC Linux man myself as well.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm using LinuxPPC version...ack...can't find my cd. Whatever their latest version of the cd is. I downloaded a perl script to update dyndns automatically and added it to cron to run twice a month. It all works great. Eventually I may just go out and buy a cheap PC though. It will be easier and cheaper to upgrade processor and HD for it.
------------------
Michael Alletto
Mike's DVD List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks