ahh this is getting crazy! bronze 2 or mini-monitor?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i thought i had my mind set on getting paradigm mini-monitors but now a new contender has emerged, the Monitor Audio bronze 2. This is really getting crazy, i've changed my mind on choosing speakers and i haven't even auditioned these things yet. Nothing is set in stone but i found a decent deal for the two pairs of bronze 2's, bronze center and denon 1802 for $2000 CAD (better in store prices). THe mini-monitor set with the cc-370 and marantz 5200 receiver would probably cost within +-200.

to those people who have heard these products or something similar, any thoughts would be appreciated!

thanks

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

The Bronze 2 is an excellent little speaker - in fact it is my personal favourite at its price point.

The Bronze 2 is going to offer a much more refined, sophisticated sound than the Mini-Monitor. The Mini-Monitor may at times seem to offer more bass - but in fact it is really just more 'boom' - the Bronze is more accurate in the low end.

The only time I would recommend the Mini-Monitor over the Bronze 2 is if pure volume is all you want and you don't care about resolving power. The Paradigm's are a great little speaker, but are best considered as a "rock and roll" type speaker. The Bronze 2 will offer a more suave, sophisticated sound.

Also, the Bronze 2's are front ported, which may be important to you, based on your setup.

To conclude, both speakers are excellent and you can't really go wrong with either. But, if you want a bit more detail and finesse, go with the Monitor Audio.

----

Jeff

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

jeff, excellent insight, you basically reiterated my recessed thoughts in a more articulate way. Space is indeed an issue. I'm concerned that the rear ported mini-monitors will sound boomy because i will inevitably have to put them on bookshelves with just the right amount of depth required. I was thinking of positioning the MM wider apart and angling towards my listening position to help aleviate the problem. The Bronze 2's on the other hand pose to such problems. Their added sophistication would then be an excellent complement to the SVS sub that i'm planning to add sometime next summer.

Until i audition both speakers nothing is cast in stone. Needless to say, building a home theater is a very complicated process!!!

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I've owned Mini Monitors for over a year now, and they do sound boomy close to a wall. I stuffed the ports in my speakers with old socks, that seems to help it blend better with my sub. I think they're excellent speakers for the money, but now I'm looking for something in a different league. The "wow factor" of these speakers is what got to me, but I think my tastes are changing now.

5. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

i'll second jeff's comments. this past summer i did a lot of auditioning in building my first surround sound setup and in the end chose the bronze 2's as my mains. i had auditioned both paradigm mini monitors and monitor 3's (along with similarily priced b&w's, mirage and boston acoustic speakers) against monitor audio bronze 2's. the ma's are excellent speakers. very musical speakers which works just as well for movies whereas some speakers might be great for movies but not as good for music. in the end i found the paradigms too boomy for my liking whereas the bronze 2's were... uhh... more detailed.

just my $0.02

6. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Salvador,
    I have some experience with the Bronze 2 (own a pair), and have listened to the Minis. My pick over both is the Axiom M3ti (www.axiomaudio.com). Check out this thread from a few weeks ago for plenty more info. BTW, the original poster of the thread wound up buying the M3s, and e-mailed me that he's thrilled with 'em. Best news for you is that while the M3s are somewhat difficult to find in a store locally, and are too expensive, IMO, from Axiom's web-site for us Canadian fellows (they remain a bargain for our friends south of the border, at only $275US), they can be had, now, for only $298CDN plus GST/PST (prices includes shipping to your door) from www.audiotronic.ca, with no concerns of border crossing or duties or currency conversion with which to contend. As for you actually auditioning the M3s, well I gather that you live in Scarborough, and so do I. I imagine we can arrange something so that you can hear the M3s, and the Bronze 2 in fact, in a real-world setting (i.e., my house). Let me know if I can help, okay? Cheers.
    DS.

7. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Hey Salvador, just a quick post-script...do you suppose this might help me make up for my "itchy feet"? [​IMG]
    DS.

8. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

there's nothing to make up fot the itchy feet comment. Some people just misinterpreted it but your intentions were good.

Thanks for the offer but won't i be a bother since christmas is coming around? i e-mailed you my thoughts on it.

9. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

after taking in dave's input and reading some reviews and posts, axiom m3ti seems like a good buy.

NOW i'm really confused!

10. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Interesting thoughts on the Bronze 2. I just skimmed through audioreview and it seems these get mixed reviews. Anyone compared these to the B&W 303's or 602's?
    ...or Dynaudios? [​IMG]

11. Darrin_R

Darrin_R Stunt Coordinator

If you interested in ordering Axiom I would contact AUDIO SHOP. They are actually cheaper than ordering direct from Axiom. THE M3 TI SE's are $243 US a pair. The M22 Ti SE's are $344 US a pair.
    The site is http://www.audioshop.on.ca

12. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

thanks for the heads up darrin

13. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor