What's new

Ahh, the Summer brings out the most interseting things in people.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
First it seems to bring about is bad drivers. One today I noticed, an F150 type truck passing what appeared to be an older couple going the speed limit on a two lane road.

The other, The lady with 4 kids in the car probably thought that because I crossed during a red light when it was clear, she could follow suit. Too bad the cop I saw a few blocks earlier wasn't waiting at that light...

Anyone else with interesting summer encounters?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The lady with 4 kids in the car probably thought that because I crossed during a red light when it was clear, she could follow suit. Too bad the cop I saw a few blocks earlier wasn't waiting at that light...
I don't get this one either. Is NJ the state that said motorcycles can now run red lights? That law will be gone next year I bet.

As far as strange summer occurrences go...it's nice down here year round (well almost) :) So I don't see anything different except more crowded restaurants because kids aren't in school (i'm all for year round schooling).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>>How is that bad driving? I don't get it? The truck wanted to pass so it did. Whether it was above the speed limit or not is not relevent.>>>>

Whoops, my bad. I wrongly described the road. A typical two way street. One lane going on e way, the other going the opposite way. This guy went into the wrong lane, and if a car had been coming from that direction, he'd of been crushed.

And I also probalby should have clarified I was walking in the second description. The lady who turned left, had a red light. She probably saw me walk across the one way Route when it was clear, and without remembering the light, decided it was ok for her to go as well. Lucky for her, the cars who did have the right of way where no where near her car when she turned...

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'm lost. So passing is illegal in NJ? Was there a double yellow line? Just because its a two way street doesn't mean you can't pass if you exercise caution.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
yep, double yellow line is what he went over. Describing things is not my strong suit :).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is it illegal to turn left on a red to get onto a one way street in your state? Where I live it is legal to turn left on a red, as long as it is safe to do so, and as long as you are turning onto a one way street.

As a pedestrian, crossing a street against the red is a violation. If it is illegal to turn left onto a one way street on a red light in your state then I would say both of you were in the wrong. You and she were lucky there was no cop around. Both of you might have ended up with tickets.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
In NJ, it is legal to turn right on red unless posted, and I believe it is legal to turn left on red ONLY if it's a one way street going left.

I've never heard of the motorcycles allowed to run red lights at all, that just sounds stupid and illogical as well as suicidal anyway.

Jay

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Is it illegal to turn left on a red to get onto a one way street in your state?>>>

yep, I'm 95% sure on this, although I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will correct me. I've never seen a 'No Turn Left on Red' sign. I only know that on some lights, it's OK to turn right on red so long as it's safe to go, I've never seen anyone go left.

Speaking of wich, a few days ago, I also saw someone go left on a one way, two lane road going right just to get into a bakery parking lot easier. Some people are just so lazy ;)...

Didn't know about that rule. I always figured that if there are no cars coming in the direction for a long enough time, it was OK to cross at a red. So long as your walking, of course. A bike or car is be a no no in that situation of course.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
In some states motorcycles can run a red if its safe to do so. This is because motorcycles can't activate the sensors for some red lights and could be stuck until a car comes the other way.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I've never heard of the motorcycles allowed to run red lights at all, that just sounds stupid and illogical as well as suicidal anyway. >>>

Heh, don't know how someone got a motorcycle was involved with this. Just me walking, and regular cars :).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Re; motorcycles

After a full stop though... that makes more sense than just letting them run red lights with abandon! I guess I should state that we're allowed to make a right on red AFTER A FULL STOP in NJ. As a cyclist, we're allowed similarly to turn in a turn lane that is controlled by a signal if waiting for a bit. usually I can get the signals to turn with just my bike, it's just that you have to stop right on the buried magnet lines.

Jay

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Is it illegal to turn left on a red to get onto a one way street in your state? Where I live it is legal to turn left on a red, as long as it is safe to do so, and as long as you are turning onto a one way street.
I think that left turn on red onto a one way street is only if you are going from a one way turning left onto another one way. And only the inside lane (if you were turning left would be the far left lane).

I was behind some cars last week on vacation. It was a 2 way both way road. I was in the far right. There was a car in front of me and a car next to me. We came up to a stop light that was red. The car right in front of me turn right at the red which was legal. The car next to me (one lane to the left of me) also turned right at the red light. It was a 2 turn lane right turn. I'm not so sure that was legal, it sure looked strange.

I don't know what made me think of motorcycles :) I guess I saw "crossed at the red light" and location NJ and just made an assumption :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, in cases of 2 lane right turn only, only the far right lane would be allowed to turn right on red. By me, there is a road that leads to a state highway with 2 right-turn lanes and there is a sign that explicitely says in effect "Only right on red in the far righ lane". That's not the exact words but the meaning..

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks