Ahh, the Golden Age of TV-Read, No Logos :)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by DeathStar1, Jan 28, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

In duping my VHS Collection to DVD, It reminded me of the glory days when I used to watch at least 6 shows a week, and logo free television...

Back in those days, if you didn't have money for a new tape(under 14 years of age, and couldn't afford it), you had to decide what to keep and what to tape over. Who would have guessed that ten years later, Familly Matters would be on the air still, and Ninja Turtles 1987 would be off? [​IMG].

Back then, when you taped over a show, sometimes ghosting would occur, and you can see yellow outlines of the show you taped over still moving in the background. No Finalizing tapes here, in order to not record over something, you had to remove the tape tab.

In the advent of DVD, I used to have at least 150 tapes, some commercial, most not. Now I'm down to 15 after having merged them together over the years..

Yes, this note does have a point [​IMG]. What caused the evolution of logos and onscreen bugs? The logos started to appear around 1993. The onscreen bugs around 1998/ The latter could have been because the advent of DVD, but what a bout the former?

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

What's the difference between a logo and a bug?

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I would guess a "logo" is just the network/station's logo, while a "bug" incorporates other information or promotion ("you are watching Battlestar Galactica; Stargate SG-1 is on next").

Remember when local stations blacked out ABC trying to push Storm of the Century that way? Sure, that was because it looked too much like a real weather advisory, but still, too bad it didn't happen more.

4. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

5. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I run a website dedicated to trying to rally viewers against the use of this screen spam. Click on the website in my signature for more information.

6. Linda Thompson

Wanna provide a direct in-post link for those of us who keep sigs turned off? [​IMG]

7. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
  8. Linda Thompson

Thanks, Scott! [​IMG]

Nice site! I now have it bookmarked, and I will definitely be spending some time there, checking out the info. Keep up the good fight!

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think as the number of cable channels grew, the need for "preserving" a channel's identity gave way to the logos in the bottom corners of the viewable screen image.