AHH, I'm a victim of the dreaded Wega Oversqueeze!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kao, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

What should I do, where should I start!? I have a Sony Wega KV-32FS12 and a Harman Kardon DVD 5. Although it isn't glaringly noticeable, I just couldn't help but get bothered by the oversqueeze I was viewing when watching DVD's. I'm pretty sure I have everything set up right... the DVD player is in 16:9 mode, and the 16:9 enhanced anamorphic squeeze feature is enabled on the TV. The end result is a horizontly stretched picture. Characters look chubbier, etc...
    Would a trip to service mode be able to remedy this? What settings should I be looking for?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mike,
    Are you experiencing this with all dvds or only a few?
    If the disc isn't anamorphic, squeezing the picture with the set's squeeze feature will result in exactly what you're describing.
    The Wegas with the auto squeeze won't squeeze non-anamorphic discs, but your's is the manual squeeze if I'm not mistaken. If this is the case, it will squeeze non-anamorphic pictures.
    If the problem occurs with discs clearly labelled as anamorphic or "enhanced for widescreen televisions" the above does not apply.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

3. Jim Christian

Jim Christian Stunt Coordinator

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Everyone's a victim, some just don't know it.
    Pop in your favorite 16:9 enhanced universal disc (jurassic park?, american pie?) and pause your DVD player on the screen with the universal/globe logo. Now you have a nice circle to work with. Also have a ruler on hand. Next, enter the service menu...
    1a. turn TV off
    1b. point the remote at the TV, and consecutively press DISPLAY, 5, VOL+, and POWER (on)
    2. to navigate use 1 and 4 on the remote to switch between parameters
    3. press 3 and 6 on the remote to decrease or increase the parameter value.
    4. to save press MUTING then ENTER, to reset EVERYTHING press 8 then ENTER. When saving, there will be a line that says write which will turn red for a second upon saving.
    Turn 16:9 enhanced back on, scroll to the "asp" parameter and toggle it up (towards the 50s) until the universal logo is the same height and width. Finally, turn 16:9 enhanced off and follow step 4 to save.
    Note: If your TV happens to turn on squeezed, go back into the menu, toggle the 16:9 enhanced on, off, on, off and then save.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Equipment List
    [Edited last by Chuck C on August 12, 2001 at 02:18 PM]