What's new

Ahh, Home made DVD's are a wonderfull thing... but (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's something I was wondering..

After two months, I've pretty much gotten all the miscelanious stuff converted to DVD, basically stuff that would be nice to have, but don't care if something happens to it or not. After that, it's on to converting entire series of shows like Thundercats to DVD, so I can finally ditch the tapes.

However, that got me thinking. If DVD Burners can get high quality stuff burned onto home discs, how many people will be less likley to buy the official stuff? I can't help but wonder if this is a good thing, making companies finanlly take TV on DVD seriously, and treat them as Special Editions, with tons of newly produce material, and extras just for the release.

Don't get me wrong, the companies that do do it right from the start are doing a GREAT job. But for the companies that do put out bare bones TV release sets, this might hurt their sales a little...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Once DVD burners get cheaper, people will DEFINITELY stop buying the official stuff and probably start pirating, and many will still keep pirating even if studios and companies add LOTS of stuff to their releases.
Ordinary People dont care about extras, or 5.1 digital sound, or transfer quality or any of that stuff, they just want the movie/TVShow.
As sad as it may be, its true :frowning:

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, didn't think about that aspect. I was just talking about quality of product. It's one reason why I didn't buy many VHS tapes back in the day, the reason, why do that when the TV Version can be taped for free at the same quality?

For example, lets say you have a bunch of SP TV taped episodes of, say, Star Trek. You purchase a DVD burner and convert most of them to that format. It's probably going to be the same quality as the official stuff, depending on TV reception and tape overuse.

Here's hoping that with this on the horizen, it'll have studios producing cool extras for TV set releases...rather than just giving us bare bones stuff that we can make ourselves.

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Imagine recording an HD-broadcast onto an HD-DVD/R
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
(A long way off!)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
For example, lets say you have a bunch of SP TV taped episodes of, say, Star Trek. You purchase a DVD burner and convert most of them to that format. It's probably going to be the same quality as the official stuff, depending on TV reception and tape overuse.
Except for the station bugs that don't disappear. :angry:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There's also split-screen credits, cutting in syndication, and other factors to consider.

And we are hardly "ordinary people."

Mark_Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Imagine recording an HD-broadcast onto an HD-DVD/R (A long way off!)
Actually this can be done now....kind of. There are several HDTV pc cards that can record hdtv to harddrive. Then the transport stream can be recorded on DVD-r and played back from a dvd-rom drive. The only problem is you only get about 30 to 40min of program material per disk. Once hard drives come down to about a dollar per gig, Im going to start storing all my HD material on harddrives.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Once DVD burners get cheaper, people will DEFINITELY stop buying the official stuff and probably start pirating, and many will still keep pirating even if studios and companies add LOTS of stuff to their releases.
I'm curious what you mean by "pirating"? Are you talking about people burning disks for themselves or burning them to sell to others? If you are simply burning a disk of a show you recorded off the air for your own personal use, there is no pirating involved.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
it's not worth the time!

To copy a single layered DVD I can understand, but most (and more to come) DVDs are in dual layer, even though the vob files are less than 4.7Gb.

In order to copy it, you can only do it in real time (for dual layer with 4.7Gb content) or even worse, you have to re-encode everything to copy 9Gb original to 4.7 which will take several hours at best.

Why even bother doing so?

Buy the original DVD and it will save you that much time and effort.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>Except for the station bugs that don't disappear>>
Well, I'm lucky in this case. Most of the stuff I taped off of NY's WPIX about 10 years ago. Long before Station Identification bugs began appearing on the shows regularly, so I don't have to worry too much about that. The rest was taped off of CBS where they had the same policy up untill about 1996 when my show ended.
The rest are shows taped off of cartoon network, where they thankfully have that teeny tiny logo in the corner that is someties half transparent.
I'll mostly be converting the stuff that hasn't been chewed up by the VCR yet, just to preserve tape watching memories ;). The rest of the stuff will probably be thrown out and bought when it officially comes out.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Unless they come out with dual layer disks, the staions stop showing commercials and get rid of the station bugs, I think most people won't record entire series. It's so much easier and cheaper to buy them, and you get better quality, plus you know it's not edited for content or time.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>plus you know it's not edited for content or time.>

Well, for the two series I care about the most on tape here, I know that's not the case since 95% of 'em are original airings.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Haha, I can finally have the original Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Aladdin on DVD ;)
I work in DVD hardware and the plan (in basic terms) is to roll out blue laser DVD players as DVD-R really begins to ramp up. Blue Lasers allow more content per disc, and the goal is to store 2 hours of HDTV (1080i) programming on one side of one disc (dual layer). DVD-R is intended to replace VCRs, especially when integrated into PVR units (like Tivo, Replay, DISH, etc.) You can record HDTV to a harddrive, but a red laser DVD-R will not be able to record much more than a 1/2 hours worth of programming in HDTV (and it probably wouldn't work so well anyway as the disc spin speed is not fast enough to replay it easily.)
So, as DVD-R becomes commonplace, the movie studios will move to providing HD-DVD discs for blue laser players. Just like VCRs vs DVD players now, wouldn't you rather watch movies in 1080i than 480i recorded?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My friend has a DVD recorder and he's graciously let me convert some of my old TV recordings, but the only advantage of doing this is being able to insert chapter stops and not worrying about it wearing out each time it's played. Plugging a Betamax into a DVD recorder will NOT result in "DVD quality", all you get is only as good as the old tape was in the first place.
That's why I laugh at the ads saying "Favorite movie not on DVD? Just copy it from your tape!" Yes, I could copy my VHS of "Roller Boogie" onto DVD-R, but it'd still look like VHS, and what's the point of that??
BTW what's the strangest or coolest thing anyone's put on DVD-R? I just found a Beta tape of Rolling Stone Magazine's 10th Anniversary special, aired November 1977, and put that onto a DVD with chapter stops so I can skip to my favorite commercials and music segments. It's got a lot of great commercials, like a Budweiser commercial with Lou Rawls and one for the Sears Video Arcade (the name they sold the Atari 2600 game system under), and a 15-minute Beatles tribute that must be seen to be believed!

Chad V

Auditioning
All this talk about DVD and COPYING and converting to DVD has me wondering - Is it possible to duplicate an original DVD? As in - a movie I bought from the store?- for backup purposes, of course! If so, what type of machine would I need - or would a regular DVD copier work.

Thanks!

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
All this talk about DVD and COPYING and converting to DVD has me wondering - Is it possible to duplicate an original DVD? As in - a movie I bought from the store?- for backup purposes, of course! If so, what type of machine would I need - or would a regular DVD copier work.
Chad-

You are a new member and I assume will be cut some slack, but talk of duping dvd to dvd if forbidden on the forum.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Unless they come out with dual layer disks, the staions stop showing commercials and get rid of the station bugs, I think most people won't record entire series. It's so much easier and cheaper to buy them, and you get better quality, plus you know it's not edited for content or time.
if you have a TiVo you can just extract it to your PC, edit the commercials out and burn it to a disc, really not a lot of effort involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks