Ahh, Gotta love new technology... but how fast is fast?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Jun 10, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

If I recall correctly, my old 2.4 X DVD Drive it took 35 minutes to write a dvd, and 20 for a data disc.

My 4X Drive 20 for a data dvd and 12 for a data disc.

Now my new 8x drive. 2 minutes for a data cd and 10 minutes for a data dvd..

At this rate it won't be long before we get up to star trek speeds...

I've always wondered, though. Do they already have this technology invented, and just inch it out to make more money off the slower drives? Or does it really take them two years to reach the next step in speed?

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    iirc, my dvd 4x drive can do a dvd in 16 minutes.

about your question, i'd guess that those are the speeds that they can mass produce their products at and still make a profit. 32x dvd writing may be possible right now, but at an outrageous premium in both hardware and medium. i'm not exactly sure i'm right, but i dont think it is entirely wrong. with cpu speeds, cooling is the biggest factor.

CJ

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Neil,

Are you forgetting about dual layer DVD burners? They'll have to double the speed on them just to make it seem like they aren't slower then the current DVD burners. And I can see people complaining about that already. "I just got this new DVD copier, and it's slower then my old one! What a rip off!" The Sony one in the link is an 8x burner, and is only priced at $199, which is pretty good since I spent over $100 on a single layer burner 7 months ago. It's a shame the media isn't available til the 3rd quarter of this year though!!

And although CD/DVD burners have become SO much faster over the past few years, if you think about it, it seems CPU speeds for the average consumer have sorta mellowed out a bit for a while. My computer is over 3 yrs old, and yet is still capable of mostly everything I need to do. I think that has a lot to do with what Chris said, about cooling being the biggest deal for today's PCs and Macs (the fastest mac a year ago is still the fast mac today). I might not be able to play the latest and greatest games on this thing, but at least I can run the standard Windows OS of today on it without a problem. It was much different for 3 yr old computers 3 years ago. Hmmm, and with that sentence, I'll go to bed.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

x16 is the fastest DVD burners will get and even then I think they need to run on Serial ATA (that may have changed recently though).

And despite the higher reliability you get with fast burning speeds now, there are still issues of accuracy, especially with audio.

PC processors keep getting higher in the Mhz rating and yet Windows (or any other desktop OS for that matter) never really feel any faster. It's not until everything sits in solid-state memory that we're going to get any kind of real improvement IMHO.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

You guys gotta think outside the box. We shouldn't have to wait at all. I wish we could make the reflective circle and press it onto a plastic disc rather than burning dye pits one by one.

I hope in a decade ot two "burning" discs and disc writers will be dinosaurs.

ps- Rob's solid state idea is right on. I wish the cd receiver in my car was just one big flash drive that stored an infinite amount of uncompressed hi-res audio [​IMG] somewhat similar to those Kenwood music kegs.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

There was an episode of "Mythbusters" where they spun CD's faster than (I believe) 32x. The thought was that anything much faster than 32 or 42 is TOO fast for the physicality of the disc.

During their tests, the discs would start to wobble (which was really cool on the slow-mo footage) and then the disc would just shatter from the strain.

They talked to a few manufacturers and there were cases where people would bring in their drives to be fixed and there'd be broken pieces of CD's inside.

So I believe it's more the physical endurances of the discs that will affect how fast drives get. This is probably why the "cheap" discs say "Recommended for 4x" - They're probably too flimsy to sustain faster speeds.

7. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

Hey I am happy with burning 2 hours of high res video at 8 min or below. 16x is the fastest that we will be able to burn dvd's with the current technology. just 2 years ago burning dvd in general was only something that a few people could afford to do. so i am happy to have been doing it for the past year at reasonable speeds.

and not to thread jack....

i saw the same episode and i believe that the number was 52x. and the discs only shattered when saturated with UV light from the sun or when the disks were microwaved.