Ah Universal,first forced trailers and now a NEW LOW!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Erin C, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine bought the Babe 2 pack the other day,opened Pig In The City only to find fingerprints and scratches all over the disc. Apparently this was returned to a retailer shipped back to Uni repackaged and restocked.
    I personally find this TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and complete BULLS*#T!!!
    I have never heard of anything like this happening before.
    Anyone else?
    [​IMG]
    Hey Universal [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I doubt it. I am sure its far easier to make a new one off the assembly line rather then repack one.

3. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

It's actually easier to repackage returns than make thousands more, especially if that means you need to print more inserts or wraps or whatever. It happens.

4. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

I have. I've opened new disks and found damage and/or fingerprints on just released titles. I have no personal experience but I understand from people who do that pressing and packing dvds is far from completely automated. I've been told that it isn't unusual for a disk or disks to fall to the floor and simply be picked up and replaced to their spot in the semi-automated process.
    My point is that this is likely not a used item but damaged in manufacture. One more reason to inspect items carefully after purchase and watch them completely within 30 days so they can be returned if necessary.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I thought Babe just came out. I think Jeff Kleist said in another thread that all DVDs are packed by hand, so that would be why there were scratches and fingerprints on the DVD. It's happened to me a couple times, but they haven't skipped yet, so no problem for now.

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Pig in the City has been out a while, so it might be a return. I think it's a matter of someone dropping a disc while stuffing the cases and just putting in, though.

I've had lots of DVDs that came with fingerprints. These assembly line people really ought to wear gloves.

7. Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel Second Unit

My copy of Kino´s METROPOLIS came with a HUGE scratch that rendered it unplayable. And it was brand new, shrink-wrapped and all.

But I had the chance to visit an audio CD manufacting plant, waaay back in the early 90´s, and saw how the assembly line people can be "funny". One of the guys actually FARTED inside a case, on purpose, before putting it on the shrink-wrapping machine-thingie thing.

8. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

THAT is FUNNY!