Ah...the life of a celebrity....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Jan 4, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Everyday, during my break from the grind at work. I look at the paper and read about celebs on their vacations, parties and so on. It must be nice. Nice trips, making insane amounts of money, going to premiers (for free [​IMG] ) and so on. Now, don't get me wrong. I know some of them work hard and the grass is always greener. But, some of these celebs have nice yards. [​IMG]

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

My mom once made a comment about how surprised she was at the fact that so many celebrities came from really bad circumstances in their childhoods.

I told her that it only makes sense. Anyone who is somewhat 'well off' isn't going to go into the acting field because it's too risky. People that do go into acting, are the ones with nothing really to lose. That's why so many of them party so much. It's the 'rags to riches' and sudden fame that they get addicted to.

So while I envy the ones who do make it big, I don't envy actors in the least bit.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Hilary Swank definitely had a rags-to-riches story (featured in a 60 Minutes segment last year after getting another Best Oscar nomination for her work in "Million Dollar Baby"). But she's got a pretty level head about it all.

4. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

It must be hard work because they are always checking into the hospital for "exhaustion."[​IMG]

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i like the line from bottle rocket "you haven't worked a day in your life, how could you be exhausted?" great line that comes from (the character of) an 11 year old girl.

i get a kick out of these celebrities who try to appear as normal people. regis is a good example. he tries hard to identify with the common man. on that show, he'll talk about current popular shows he watches, the same sports teams we all watch, and minor marital difficulties he may be having. (regis's wife nags him to do stuff? so does mine!) but in the next breath, he'll talk about a funny little story that happened at some oscar winner's house, or maybe it was when they were in switzerland last year. i wonder how many of the working saps in the audience can identify with those stories.

CJ

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I remember reading that she was ranked the 5th best gymnast in Washington or Oregan when she was younger.

7. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I agree with some of the reasons you mentioned, Mark, but I also think that it's largely a matter of us hearing about these things because it makes for a compelling celebrity news story/narrative. I don't know that the percentage of celebs who've come from tough backgrounds is all that much higher than in many other walks of life, it's just that we hear about it more often, i.e. we're less likely to hear very much about a celeb's background if it didn't involve overcoming some notable hardships.

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Personally, I try to ignor celebrities in their real lives because I feel that they don't deserve all that money that they're paid, plus I think that most of them are far too disconnected from reality for me to try and relate to any of them, celebrities come from another planet to me.

Take Britney Spears for example, everytime I see her she's chewing gum or sipping on a Slurpee while driving one of her many cars, completely care free, now I look at that and I feel that here is someone who is in desperate need of some hard times.

IMO, people need hard times and misery in their lives from time to time to give them strength and character, it's a bleak way of looking at it and is a terrible thing to say but I feel it to be true.

As for their salaries, i'm of the same opinion as Forrest Gump, he said...

"Mama always said that there is only so much money a man really needs...and the rest is just for showin' off."

20 million, hell even 10 million, to stand in front of a camera and pretend to be someone else is beyond ludicris and ventures into the realm of the absurd.

As you can tell, I don't really care for the celebrity lifestyle, mainly because, and i'll be honest, they have far more money than I do for doing almost nothing while we have police and firefighters who put their lives on the line everyday and still struggle to feed their family.

Most celebrities are pretentious, self centered and spoiled, I watch them in their films and listen to their music but couldn't care less about them beyond that.

End of rant. [​IMG]

9. MarkHastings

John, while I agree that the whole celeb vs. firefighter model is F'ed up, I do have to look at the economical side of things.Yeah, that's true too. They did a story on Shania Twain and how great a background she had, but that story doesn't get as much attention as the Courtney Love story does [​IMG]

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    exactly mark. the same as the other thread about how much a CD costs, sort of. celebrities bring in more money for their employers, so they get paid handsomely. firefighters, or other non-glamorous jobs, dont bring in a lot of money, so they dont get paid very much. in the grand scheme, how hard your job is can have absolutely nothing to do with how much you get paid.before the rap star, people knew how to spell ludicrous [​IMG]

CJ

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Another planet? That's REALLY worshiping from afar. [​IMG]

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Christ, :b, I used to know how to spell that word correctly, don't know what happened, brain fart? [​IMG]

Robert,
    even Anne I don't really follow, outside of her films and what she's got coming up. As for the other planet comment, I don't mind long distance relationships. [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. MarkHastings

And that too...Who defines the word "hard"? My brother always says that his job is harder than mine because he works for Fed-Ex, but is physical exertion really 'harder' than mental exertion? My job pays me for my brain. I do creative work (i.e. artistic) as well as mental work (i.e. computer programming and solving).

I use both sides of my brain at my job. I may not use my arm, leg and back muscles, but does that mean I have an easy job?

Just like celebrities, do you think they really have it that easy? They make it look easy, but they're actors, they get paid to give off fake personas. [​IMG]

14. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Hmmm, i'm going to have to go with your brother on this one, Mark, physical work is, IMO, harder than mental work, although that too is hard but in a vastly different way. I know that my job where I am constantly moving and lifting things makes me sometimes feel like just laying down and dying at the end of the day.

15. MarkHastings

Physical = hard on the body
    Mental = hard on the brain

At the end of the day, my brain wants to shut down and die.

The problem with comparing the two is, people understand (and can see) the effects of physical labor. I don't think most people understand (or can see) the effects of mental labor.

There's a lot that happens to your body (that you are unaware of) when you are doing something mental. When I am doing something extremely difficult (mentally), if I don't do things properly, I get a massive migraine that shuts down my body for days.

16. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

Physical work vs. mental work...apples and oranges.

My 50 something brother can out work most 20 year olds on his worst day. He's a very intelligent guy in a very physically demanding line of work, but he's no rocket scientist. (nor am I) Conversely, I doubt any rocket scientist could match my brother's strength & stamina. Comparing the relative difficulty of each's work is...well...ludicrous.

Back to the actor/celebrity appraisal (which goes for professional athletes too) there are precious few who reach those levels of fame and fortune. Millions to "stand in front of a camera and pretend..." is oversimplifying things. However, today's A-list actors benefit from the suffering of people like Judy Garland and hundreds of other actors who were taken advantage of years ago. Studios and producers make money from those performances to this very day. All that the original artists of that era received for their efforts was 16 plus hour work days, a decent paycheck during filming and a kick to the curb when they weren't as productive or cute as they used to be. Not exactly a fair arrangement.

I've really gotten sick of their personal life B.S. though. I have difficulty believing that anything that makes it into mainstream media isn't contrived on some level. Maybe Tommy is really that nuts over Katie...or maybe he's just really nuts. Either way the upshot is that though it's difficult to avoid entirely, our attention to that type of circus feeds both his ego and his bank account.

17. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    most likely, you didnt spell it like the rap guy spells it, but it was mostly a jab at him [​IMG]

as someone who has had both physically and mentally difficult jobs, i'd say they both are hard in different ways. i would say that a mentally tough job can be "harder" than a physically tough job, and ive had some tough jobs on my body and back.

i'm sure being a movie star isnt the easiest (or hardest) thing in the world, but they get paid very nicely. they are responsible for bringing in lots of money to their employers, so they should get paid a lot. i just hate the shows that kiss the celebs asses at every turn. entertainment tonight, and all the other ones.

CJ

18. andrew markworthy

Todd, I know it looks agreeable, but:

(1) the vacations are often paid for by hotels, resorts, etc, eager to drum up publicity by having famous names staying there. I don't blame celebrities for taking up these free offers, but if Joe Public didn't slavishly follow what celebrities did when off duty, then this practise would soon stop.

(2) celebrities often attend premieres on a 'you scratch my back ...' principle. It's simply drumming up support for a movie, and the idea is that if celebrity X attends the premiere of celebrity Y's movie, then celebrity Y will reciprocate when X's movie opens. It's simple commercial sense. And would you really want to have to pose for the cameras and have half an hour of having to be nice to the morons of the press before you got to see a movie? I don't think it's worth it for a glass of free champagne.

(3) Yes, it'd be very nice to have all that money, but would you really like it if for the rest of your life you were stopped wherever you went by some idiot wanting your autograph or to speak to you? Worried that you or members of your family might be kidnapped or killed simply because you are famous? I couldn't live life in a goldfish bowl no matter how much someone paid me.

This doesn't negate the fact that some people have got riches for nothing. We can all think of pop and movie stars whose appeal is inexplicable and whose rishes with accordingly think are undeserved. But equally, all the perks in the world cannot compensate for loss of privacy.

19. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I tend to admire those celebrities who walk away from that kind of lifestyle to perform some work that contributes more to society.

Byron White was a top star in the NFL but he eschewed that to put himself through law school. He became such a legal talent that JFK put him on the US Supreme Court. "The same year he led the NFL in rushing, he finished No. 1 at Yale Law School. He received the largest bonus to sign ever accorded an NFL player at the time. He led the NFL twice in rushing, in 1938 and '40, then in May 1961 proceeded to lead 400 federal marshals into Selma, Ala., as an assistant attorney general under Robert F. Kennedy to protect against the very real threat of violence during the civil rights marches."

When I was growing up in Palo Alto, the star of the Stanford football team turned down offers from the NFL, preferring to go to medical school instead.

During WWII many celebrities joined up, and many died in combat, e.g. Glen Miller.

20. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

As seemingly ridiculous as celebrity compensation may be, it is entirely market driven and therefore very fair in my opinion.

If the cast of "Friends" or "Seinfeld" or Peter Jackson or whoever delivered as much entertainment value to 1M other people as they did to me, then their compensation was completely worth it imho.