What's new

Ah, the joys of being unemployed (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
so here I am for the day, refreshing 15 different message boards every 3 minutes to keep myself entertained :emoji_thumbsup:
I registerred a new domain, www.whereyou.at to cheer myself up though :)

I just sent out 5 more resumes, fortunately the job market in Denver isn't too shabby right now, so it shouldn't be TOO bad to find something... I hope.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Philip -- bummer about the job situation. :frowning: I know some downtime can be refreshing, but I find too much nothing eventually becomes hard to bear.

I was out in Boulder a few months ago, and my impression was the economy was picking up. Hopefully you'll find work soon.

I like your new domain name. It's clever. Do you have a plan for it?

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Good luck. I was laid off from Intel at the end of 2002. I took about 9 months off in 2003 but have been looking since September. I just got an offer today in Dallas that pays more than the job I lost. I was in an extremely bad job market in New Mexico though. Make sure you get some resumes to your local temp agencies (Appleone, Manpower, Volt, etc). Often you can get some good contract work while you look for another permanent spot. Manpower professional also provides free online training classes through skillsoft that can help kill time and give you new things to put on your resume. Again, best of luck.

Kenneth

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

no, no plans other than a catchy email address. Austrian TLDs are expensive, but I like the name so much ;)
I have another domain, notadotnet.net but it's too confusing to give to people over the phone. You're welcome to an email address once I get the hosting sorted..

Personally I hate the downtime, I get bored and cagy and pace around and play with the dog a lot.. but after working nights for 10 months it's going to be a long while before I can sleep at night like a normal person again, so the time off might do me some good as I'm dependant on nyquil to get a good nights sleep right now :b

Problem is I'm somewhat limited as to WHERE in Den I can work, I live south of town a little bit, so I'm pretty limited to the southern Englewood/DTC area, otherwise my commute would be HELL. Something will come up, I have feelers out all over ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

The impression I get is that NM is a pretty depressed area, I'm sorry to hear you've been out of work for so long. I just applied for a 3-6 month position with manpower, we'll see if I get a call on it.. hoping so.

Problem is my education is pretty specialized, and nearly worthless right now, so I'm relying on my post-college work experience, which was all in IT stuff, also nearly worthless right now :D ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
no, grand junction=hell

I did install a starion intercooler on the miata this week though, and some hella e-codes. All stuff I bought when I had a job and now wish I hadn't :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have a pseudo family member (it's a long story) that's one of the VP's in portland, or was last I heard. She's never offered to hook me up though :D

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"but after working nights for 10 months it's going to be a long while before I can sleep at night like a normal person again"

Some folks just can't handle the nights:d I switch from 4 nights on to 3 off and I sleep great all the time.

what's the secret you ask----drugs no wait not drugs no no, it's making the changeover day a 30 hours day.

Brent

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
that's what I used to do on weekends, I'd get off at 6am on friday, and stay up all day, go to sleep friday night and USUALLY sleep Ok, some weekends I'd find myself awake at 5am on saturday for no reason though.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Sure, but it's fun eating breakfast and going food shopping and reading the paper and having a shower and washing the car by 8a.m. isn't it?:D:D

Brent

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks, but I'm good with my shoutingman and fischer-net domains :)

Hope your upcoming interview goes well.

Near the end of my thesis research I was running experiments which had about an 80 prep-to-finish time. As I was trying to pound them out and also needed to monitor the start of them, my cycle would loop over several days. At first, I'd get one going in the morning and be done by evening. But then a few days later, it would be finishing and I'd be starting the next one in the afternoon and be finished late evening. Then, some days later I finishing after midnight. And then, I was staying up all night to get an experiment going. And then I'd loop back to normal. :D

Unfortunately, my experience with working wonky hours makes it hard to deal with corporate life sometimes. I like to work when I like to work.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I try to be flexible, to be honest I only took the night gig for the shift differential :D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
My unemployment insurance just ran out which means no more money. Am I worried? Nope.

I like driving by business centers, buildings and such watching employees congregate outside to smoke their cigarettes. And I laugh and yell out "HAHA!" and drive away in my convertible as I soak up the sun in my eternal freedom...

The movie "A Thousand Clowns" is my current bible.

Oh and also if I don't find a job soon it's Europe here I come! Ah... France..Sweden.. England? Maybe..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks