What's new

Ah, The Harman Kardon 8000.... (1 Viewer)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
That's funny. I was just thinking too myself, "I wonder why the H/K 8000 flagship hasn't shown up yet?".

The thing that gets me about this receiver is that it has EX and ES capability but only 5 channels of amplification for a flagship receiver.

Patrick

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
The thing that gets me about this receiver is that it has EX and ES capability but only 5 channels of amplification for a flagship receiver.
So did Denon's 4800 when it first came out. I think the main reason for HK's decision is that a lot of people want a nice receiver but still only for 5.1 (I recall seeing TONS of threads about people wanting the 3801/02 but not using it for 6.1). I suppose maybe some people will like not paying for what they won't use immediately? And adding a mono or even 2channel amp later can be done with out spending too much (or even by using the receiver that the 8000 replaces).
I also recall reading a response from HK about this. Something about HK believing that adding 2extra channels of amplification in a receiver would detract from the overall performance of the unit. Therefore they beefed everything else up but used only 5 channels. Whether or not they are telling the truth....:)
I must say though, I like how they put connections for the left speakers on the left side and the connections for the right speakers on the right side (like Denon's 5800).
Looks like a great unit overall! I can't wait to hear about someone's experience with it.
Dan Hine

PatrickM

Screenwriter
So did Denon's 4800 when it first came out.
This is true but the 4800 wasn't the flagship receiver and subsequently the 4802 did have 7 channels of amplification. I just think that if your going to put out a flagship with all these 6.1 formats you should probably put in the amplification as well.

Its like buying a new sports car that was upgraded from a V6 to V8 but you need to buy two more spark plugs before you can use the performance. Just my opinion.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the gold plated speaker connections on the proper sides of the receiver are very nice. I wish the 5800 had them.

Patrick

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I do agree. Having amplification for all channels would be better.

But are you sure the 4800 wasn't the flagship? I thought for certain that it came out a while before the 5800...

Dan Hine

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Dan, the 4800 did come out just before the 5800 but the 5800 was known to be coming as their flagship receiver with every format (at the time) known to man.

Still, the 8000 does look impressive.

Actually, now that I think of it, there was talk shortly after the 8000 was announced that they were thinking about making to 8000 models. One with 5 channels of amplification and one with 7.

Maybe that was just a rumour.

Patrick

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
According to OneCall the AVR-8000 is due Dec. 1st! And for just over $2000 including shipping....it's very tempting.

Dan Hine

MarkO

Second Unit
I think there was a thread here about why h/k did not add the aditional amps. h/k replied in an email that the additional amps would require a very large unit that would render the unit inpractical. Rather than skimp on the amps to make them all fit, they decided to omit them, and let the buyer add an additional outboard amp. Makes sense to me the 8000 is a big unit with just the five channels.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Is there any updated information on the specifications for the unit. The website only has a picture.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Onecall has more in depth specs here
A little scattered in my opinion, but it covers most of the bases fairly well for a product that isn't out yet.
Dan Hine

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
(I recall seeing TONS of threads about people wanting the 3801/02 but not using it for 6.1)
I must be blinded by the ton who actualy bought it for the,extra decoded channel,with amp on board,not to mention the price of admission.
Looking the specs though on the 8000,it reminds me a lot for the already out 520 model,which cost less then half.I wonder what else there is besides the "laundry list" of features,already posted by One Call,like assignable power amps,bass managment for the external decoder input,stuff like that.
Personaly I'd take those over the "three letter badge";)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks