Ah...new PowerBooks

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Michael*K, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

FINALLY I can replace my aging PowerBook with a new one as the re-designed 15-inch models made they're long awaited debut in Paris today. And for those that haven't heard, Apple also released a Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse as well. [​IMG]

2. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Having never owned a PowerBook before, just curious...isn't titanium better (lighter, stronger) than aluminum? If so, why has Apple redone their entire PowerBook line in aluminum?

I've long replaced my stock mouse with Logitech's MX700. I was perfectly happy with the stock mouse, but when I switched to the MX700, I was dumbfounded with how much better it can be - much faster and smoother action on the wireless MX than the wired stock plus the ability to map many functions to the MX.

Ergonomically, the MX is a joy to hold, where the stock was awkward in retrospect. Most importantly, the scroll wheel on the MX is indispensible - no more hunting and pecking at the GUI scroll bar. Usually, I find Apple's industrial design inimitable, but after switching to the MX, I learned that its mouse fall far short. I'd be surprised if Apple's bluetooth mouse can compare favorably to the Logitech.

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

The new powerbooks are nice. I'm tempted to get a new 12" model as soon as I have some spare cash (which may be in a few weeks, we'll see!). I ordered a bluetooth keyboard this morning to go along with my dual G5 system, when that arrives. I'll be using a Microsoft bluetooth mouse with the system as well. Ahh, no wires (except for ethernet, firewire, power and video, of course [​IMG] )

Peter, the aluminum powerbooks are really nice. I don't think there is a huge difference between the metals when you're making laptops out of them.

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

5. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Most likely, they will not incorporate a scroll wheel because it's a mechanical device and they would want to make a scroll with no moving parts. Does the Kensington have a track pad scroll? If Apple were to put a scroll on a mouse, it would have to be like that. Kind of like the scroll wheel on the new iPods, but smaller.

6. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I think at $69 neither is a bad deal. Consider I paid $130 for an oversized MS bluetooth mouse kit just this past May because it would work with the built-in bluetooth of my PB. None of the additional button of course worked (no "bluetooth-overdrive" prog avail and no MS driver). Plus it is too big to travel with.

Although I use a trackball for my main comps, the current "entire mouse is the button" optical mouse is really an ease on wrist after a few days of long hours.

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Just what I've been waiting for with the PowerBooks.... Bluetooth and a lower price. [​IMG]

Quoth the Peter Kim:

8. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith Plucker

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Joseph, I'd be puchasing the 12" for the size. I have a second revision G4 Titanium Powerbook, and while it's a great laptop, it's a bit too big for me to use comfortably on my daily commute (I take the train to work, I don't drive [​IMG] ).

Keith, you can also BTO that hard drive in the 12" model as well. I miss the days when installing a hard drive was a consumer viable option. Too many screws nowadays. (whoops, it's actually a 4800 RPM 80gb drive. Still, it's big)

10. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter