What's new

Ah crap, I'm moving...any helpful tips? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I thought I was done with the "student life" - where I moved every year. I have been in the same L.A. apt. for 3+ years now. My roommate let me know at the beginning of the month she is quitting her job and going down a new career path (taking the GRE & CBEST, she's currently a paralegal and hating the long hours and stress) and is moving back home.

Unfortunately, I got my bigscreen (47" 16x9 Panny, it has wheels and is only about 150lbs. - it was surprisingly easier to move than my old 36" Sony tube which weighed a ton!) while living in mu current place and have never had to move it.

Any tips on how best to move it? I will be moving in-city, about 8 miles. I will probably rent a U-Haul. I was thinking of the van rather than the small truck because someone can kinda sit back there with the TV and keep it from moving around without relying on those ties that the big U-Haul trucks come with. Is this a good idea? I'm just so scared to dump $2K with one hard turn of the steering wheel...

Overall I plan on doing my move smartly and over a long period of time - not a "shotgun" move. Preferably I'll have several days where I will have access to both places (Nov.28-Dec.1). My workplace has tons of boxes, for PCs and paper, that I'll be commandeering over the next week or two and storing my stuff in there.

Any advice though on moving the TV would be great!

TIA

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
My fiance and I are moving this weekend too. I just hope it doesn't rain!! I'm worried about my 32" Sony WEGA TV (which weighs about a ton :) ) and I posted and got some good replies here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=103366
I'm planning on wrapping the TV well with bubble wrap on the screen and maybe a furniture cover, placing it on a dolly, and going down the stairs (we have no elevator, and we're on the 3rd floor) one step at a time, with someone helping. Gonna use a 17 ft. truck, and going to place it at the front of the truck, where U-Haul recommends placing heavy items - it should be sturdy there as long as you make sure it can't fall over. I'm less worried about the ride in the truck, but how to get it downstairs :)
Good luck with the move, I feel your pain :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Yoshi! Moving this downstairs (one flight at the front of the building) isn't gonna be too bad because an RPTV actually lifts easier for two people than a direct view (the weight is spread out and this has places to put your hands to lift the weight). Yikes, I just realized I own the fridge (the place didn't have one) but my new place has one and can't take it out. Wonder if I should move it w/ me and just leave it there unused in a corner or if I should try to sell it to my landlord or what.

Hmmm...

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
When we moved late in the summer we used a 17' u-haul..
But for all the home theater gear the seats came out of our mini Van, Because I kept all the boxes for everything it was easy to pack up. I did not have a big RPTV just a 27" JVC. Even the sonosub went in the van.

If you have a friend with a van That's what I would do.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

Unfortunately I was not able to keep the boxes because the one weakness of my current place is lack of closet/storage space. Usually I'm a stickler for those things.

And your reasoning is exactly why I want to rent the van rather than the truck for U-Haul. One of my moving buddies can sit in the back and keep a hand on the TV to make sure it doesn't roll where it ain't supposed to. I'll be moving most of my stuff in boxes using my car. Only the TV, Bed, 2 bookcases, futon/loveseat, table & desk need to be moved via U-Haul, and I don't mind making several trips since the places are so near each other.

Also, the place I'm moving to has no street parking (college town w/ 2 hour limits and more cars than spaces) so a U-Haul truck may not fit in my underground parking, whereas the van probably will.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I highly recomend calling a pro to move the TV. Ask around and see who the local AV shops use. Chances are they're rates will be low and they should be insured against damange so you don't have to worry about it. I've paid to have my TV moved twice now and each time it was about $50 US to move...worth every penny IMO.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Andrew. I live near StarClubs (or something like that) in West LA. I'll call them and see what they have to say. If I could find a TV mover then I just might rent the small truck (if it will fit in the underground parking) and just do one big trip w/ all the other furniture.

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo,

I don't have any recommendations about your TV, but if time and money permit (mostly money) I would try to have a two weekend overlap for your move. That way you can schedule the move with all your friends on the first weekend, but if it is pouring down rain that weekend, you have the second to fall back on.

I have done it this way every time I moved and only needed it once, but what a relief it was to not have everything I owned soaking wet in the new place.

Just a thought.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
One thing that I have always heard about moving is to be sure to remove all CDs/DVDs from players--especially mega-changers. Good luck with the move.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Paul, unfortunately I won't be able to use a two-weekend system. Since it's Southern California, chances of rain are slim (although it's pouring right now). And both places have underground parking so I can get stuff to the U-Haul w/o exposing them to the elements.

Chris, I learned that lesson long ago when I first moved my 5 disc CD changer. Won't ever happen again. I have a single disc DVD player so it's minimal effort to check both pieces of equipment before moving (unlike say a 300 disc changer!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks