What's new

Aguirre: The Wrath of God vs. Fitzcarraldo (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Which one of these great Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski collaborations do you prefer, and why?
I watched Aguirre: The Wrath of God and loved it. But, I love Fitzcarraldo as well, and don't know which I prefer over the other. Both are pretty darn good!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Tough question.

I'd say Aguirre: The Wrath of God simply because it was my introduction to Herzog.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Fitzcarraldo is my favorite because I just love that character. Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald is a good, kind, decent man. The overriding loves of his life are music (especially opera), Molly (Claudia Cardinale), and the place where he lives in the Peruvian jungle, Aquitos (sp?). Molly, a wonderful woman, is already his friend and lover, and his idea to bring together aspects of his other two loves, the great Caruso performing at an opera house he wants to build, is what starts the story in motion. Fitzcarraldo (as the natives call him) is an eternal optimist. He's smart, he's a dreamer, and he won't take no for an answer. All the really great things that have been accomplished have been accomplished by people exactly like him. However, we usually only hear about the successes. Fitzcarraldo fails, but oh, it's a grand failure, and worthy of admiration and respect.
Kinski is great at playing mental bad guys, and so he plays a lot of them. I love that he also shines at being a mental good guy, determined to make his passions a reality.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'd have to go with Fitzcarraldo but it's close.
Personally, I prefer The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser to both of these though.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Rain, good call. I'm also fond of Strozek and the underrated Where the Green Ants Dream.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Very nice post Vickie! After reading your thoughts on Fitzcarraldo I think I might also have a slight preference for it over Aguirre, but its still close!
I will have to check out more of Herzog's movies such as those suggested by Rain and Steve. Herzog's images and characters are extremely intriguing!

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I agree with Rain on this one. I, too, prefer Hauser over both of these, though they're both great. I would probably rather watch Fitzcarraldo again before Aguirre.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Why do you say "unfortunately" Jan? The way I see it, if you and Rain prefer Hauser over Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre, that could very well be fortunate for me, since I have yet to see Hauser.

If I enjoy Hauser more than Fitzcarraldo and Aquirre, it is indeed a very good film!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Of course! How ridiculous of me not to pick up on your true, and obvious meaning!
(no offense Rain!) ;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Agruirre: the Wrath of God, which I think is as fine a portrait of man’s descent into madness as its possible to achieve. I like this so much that I once watched it on TV in Caracas: German soundtrack and Spanish subtitles. I don’t speak German and I my literacy in Spanish is not nearly good enough to keep up with the pace of subtitles.

Still loved it.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Aguirre The Wrath of God which remains my favorite Herzog film. It has my favorite Popol Vuh score, the fever dream quality of the whole film, the unforgettable opening descent through the clouds into the madness of the jungle. The absurdity of the Spanish mission. Their casual cruelty and complete lack of value for human life. And I haven't even gotten to Kinski yet...:D
Stroszek and Even Dwarfs Started Small are my next two favorites. Fitzcarraldo, Kaspar Hauser, Nosferatu, and Heart of Glass are the 3rd tier.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Great, after reading Lew's and Brook's comments, I think I might like Aguirre a little better than Fitzcarraldo!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks