What's new

Agony & The Ecstasy (1965)(Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
applausegb.gif

Just pre-ordered via the link.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys, thank you so much for the preorder support.

Oh, I can see the crowd above is quite pleased.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Luke,

THANK YOU. Looks like I need to put you on my Christmas fruitcake list this year.

...no really, very much appreciated.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I happen to be an art historian, and so will add a small note about this movie. First, the film, overall, is good at portraying the character of the "warrior Pope" Julius II, well played by Rex Harrison. Heston's Michelangelo is also good. One inevitable flaw, however, is that the movie was made 20 years before the Sistine Chapel's ceiling was cleaned. Before the 1980s, many thought that the famous fresco on the ceiling had muted colors, perhaps in part because Michelangelo was a primarily a sculptor. But then it was figured out that centuries of grime and candle smoke were obscuring the beauty and brilliant colors of the original work. When, in the 1980s, the ceiling was finally cleaned, brilliant "Technicolor-like" colors were revealed, showing what the work looked like when new. But in the 1960s, as I've said, that was all in the future, and so in the movie when the newly finished painting is shown it is seen in its rather obscured state. It's amazing they got permission to film in the Sistine Chapel, and as I said the movie is still well worth watching. I just suggest looking at wikipedia or some other source to see how the painting looks today:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Sistine_Chapel_ceiling_left.png

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I don"t believe that theyever shot in the Sistine chapel. Fox spend alot of money on recreating the chapel.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
trajan: Yes, you're right. It's been a while since I've seen it. But now that you mention it, I believe they filmed some of M's sculptures, as well as the outside of the Sistine, but the interior was an impressive studio creation. Still, in the impressive recreation of the paintings, they are still "dirty," and so don't look the way we know they looked today....

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
benbess said:
I happen to be an art historian, and so will add a small note about this movie. First, the film, overall, is good at portraying the character of the "warrior Pope" Julius II, well played by Rex Harrison. Heston's Michelangelo is also good. One inevitable flaw, however, is that the movie was made 20 years before the Sistine Chapel's ceiling was cleaned. Before the 1980s, many thought that the famous fresco on the ceiling had muted colors, perhaps in part because Michelangelo was a primarily a sculptor. But then it was figured out that centuries of grime and candle smoke were obscuring the beauty and brilliant colors of the original work. When, in the 1980s, the ceiling was finally cleaned, brilliant "Technicolor-like" colors were revealed, showing what the work looked like when new. But in the 1960s, as I've said, that was all in the future, and so in the movie when the newly finished painting is shown it is seen in its rather obscured state. It's amazing they got permission to film in the Sistine Chapel, and as I said the movie is still well worth watching. I just suggest looking at wikipedia or some other source to see how the painting looks today:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Sistine_Chapel_ceiling_left.png
Maybe they'll fix this with some creative color timing on the Blu-ray. ;)

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Looking forward to this one, have not seen it since the 60s. Thanks for the link.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
benbess said:
... the film, overall, is good at portraying the character of the "warrior Pope" Julius II, well played by Rex Harrison. Heston's Michelangelo is also good.
If nothing else the film shows to a wide audience the technique of fresco and how it takes a team to put up fresh plaster and mix all those paints. IIUC Carol Reed took great pains to use correct costumes and weapons in all the fight scenes.

Being made when it did the film also had to dance around aspects of Michelangelo's personal life, although it was more straightforward about Julius II. I love the scene when the Pope comes riding up on horseback with his girlfriend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks