Agony, Mother & Son, Butterflies, Waiting For God

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gregory V, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Gregory V

Gregory V Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have any knowledge of the British shows AGONY, BUTTERFLIES, and WAITING FOR GOD, and the Australian show MOTHER & SON coming out on DVD in this country? Or at least on some form of DVD that will play in this country? I used to watch all of them on PBS and would love to see them all again.

2. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

Haven't heard a thing. Butterflies is one of my all time favorite Britcoms, second only to Fawlty Towers. I simply cannot understand why the BBC hasn't released this yet. Last year, the BBC released the results of a public survey that listed the top 100 British sitcoms. Butterflies was #33 on the list. If the Beeb ever decides to release this, I'll be first in line to snap up a copy.

My local PBS station used to air a wide variety of Britcoms in the '80s and early '90s. But for the last decade or so, it seems that all they ever show are endless repeats of Are You Being Served?, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances and, more recently, My Hero. I remember quite fondly some of the series they used to show like: Alexei Sayle's Stuff, One Foot in the Grave, No Place Like Home, Father's Day, Fairly Secret Army, Executive Stress, The Bounder, Only When I Laugh, Solo, Ever Decreasing Circles, After Henry, and Sorry! I would buy them all just for the chance to see them again. (The Bounder and Only When I Laugh had a handful of episodes released by BFS Entertainment some 18 months ago. I'm holding out, hoping that someone will release the entire series.)

I'm positive I also saw Agony once or twice on the same station (the name sure rings a bell), but for some reason I can't recall anything about the series. I've never seen Waiting for God or Mother & Son.