Agony and Ecstasy: My Pioneer is near...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ric Easton, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I ordered the SD-533HD5 with white glove service last Thursday. I used the tracking number I got in my email today and it said it was delivered. I called the company and they said they delivered it to a place a couple towns over.

I assume it went to the guys that deliver it with the white glove service. At least I hope it did! I looked in the phone book and the company I was told it went to is not listed! I think the suspense is going to kill me! I guess I just have to wait a day or so for them to contact me and set up a delivery time. If they don't, I will be sending out a search party!

Still, I was originally told it could take two weeks... but hearing that it is just 30 miles away, is getting me very anxious! I just hope the thing arrives in good shape...

Ric

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Keep the faith, Ric. It will be worth the wait!

BL

3. Ric Easton

Curse the Holidays!

Because of the long weekend, I will heve to wait til Monday for the set! ...I guess the weekend will be a little longer for me!

Ric

4. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Scene: 4:30 pm, Thursday 11/28/02
    Setting: Sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner, 30 miles from Troy, NY
    Mom: And what are you thankful for honey?
    Dad: I'm thankful that these two guys wearing white gloves showed up on Monday and delivered a TV that I didn't order or pay for! Free TV for the holidays! And the TV is awesome! :wink:

5. Ric Easton

6. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams

7. Ric Easton

OK, now that they got their fill of football they can delver my set! It's supposed to arrive between 3 and 7 pm Monday. So I will have to call in "sick" I'm sure it will look suspicious after the long weekend (Actually had to work Thanksgiving but had Friday off. They say snow showers tomorrow, temperature will be in the 20's. I hope this will not affect delivery since I will not be able to call in again anytime soon.

So here's the stupid question of the night! Can I plug the set right in, or do I need to let the thing warm up first? I imagine it will be pretty cold from being in the truck. When the (White glove) crew arrives, do they usually plug it in the wall to see if it powers up?

I'm pretty nervous about this whole OneCall deal, I just hope everything goes smoothly. Will I be able to inspect the package before it comes off the truck?

I feel like an expectant father. I keep talking about the new addition to our family... My wife thinks I have lost my mind!

Overly Anxious Ric

8. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    The rule of thumb for cold electronics is to plug it in wihtout turning it on so it gets warm up to lessen the change of condensation forming. Let it sit around for a good hour or so. You know, just to draw it out the process even further.

9. Ric Easton

After a few scary moments with the delivery guys... I am a happy camper! The set looks great!

They showed up around 5pm. It looked to me like they were being a little rough with it coming off the truck... then things got worse! The set had to come up a step from the garage and then straight thru two doors... should'a been easy! The box was about a half inch to big to make it thru the door, so the box came off. I offed to take the doors of their hinges, but they didn't want to be bothered with it. Now I am getting really worried about the screen getting scratched. The guys said they weren't responsbible if anything happened to the set because the box was supposed to come off inside the house. They offered to leave it sitting in my garage. I said that was not what I was paying for. They said they could cover the screen with blankets. I said ok. Then they started trying to move it without the blankets. One of the guys was trying to lift it and his hand was pressing right against the screen! He was wearing work gloves and they didn't look very white! I started to freak! The guy was complaining that there was nothing to grab onto. After they went and got the blanket, it was still pretty rough getting it over that step, and I was sure a hand was going to go through the front of the screen. I was extremely nervous throughout the whole experience.

They got it in the room, and it looked ok. They left. After I inspected the set more closely I could see some marks where his hand was on the screen. I got a soft cloth and gently wiped the grime away. It came off easily and I was very relieved.

I then put it on regular cable TV and immediately turned the contrast down. The picture was not the greatest, but I wasn't expecting much from cable. I checked the convergence and it was off quite a bit. After I adjusted it the set was looking quite a bit better. I then popped in Monsters Inc. Whoa! It was lookin sweet! Throughout the evening I popped in several discs and watched highlights from Lord of the Rings, The Phantom Menace, Babylon 5, and Star Trek Generations. I was eyeballing the settings, but things were looking a little dark. So I finally ran Avia and the contrast and brightness got moved back up some. Contrast is presently at Neg 5 and brightness is at Plus 6... Saturation went to Neg 6. I hope these settings are not too high. I certainly don't want any burn in! It looks great in a totally darkened room, and I can't wait til I sit down to watch a whole movie from start to finish. I had been saving quite a few DVDs until this thing arrived.

Right now, I'm just very glad that the set and I both survived the "white glove" service.

Please get back to me if you suspect my settings are too high. It looked good on the Avia, but it's alittle subjective.

Thanks all,
    Ric

10. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I’d advise you to back off on the contrast a lot more. Bleddyn and I are in the same boat – we cranked contrast down to –30 without any problems with picture quality. Use the THX test on the Monsters Inc disc to set black level.
    I know it may sound screwy, but offset it by turning up the brightness and see for yourself. I don’t think dropping to –5 is going to do much to protect you against burn-in.
    Frankly, even at –30, my settings are still much brighter to the eye than my old Toshiba. The contrast range on the Pioneer is not a full range where the lowest setting is black like the Toshiba was. –30 is not as insanely dark as it would seem nor should backing off a few ticks from 0 considered “safe”.
    BTW, I didn't get White Glove service because of the cost and the added turn around time. I bribed the driver to help me move the set into my apt, and we didn't have a single problem lifting and moving the set. Aside from the money, it looks like I saved myself quite a bit of agita.

11. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    After someone in another thread expressed disbelief at my contrast levels, I did eventually get around to taking another look with Avia. I find the contrast perhaps the hardest of the Avia patterns to get right - there seems to be fair leeway, as on this set, it seems impossible to get the white block to "bloom."
    I did think -30 seemed a bit low, and put it on -25. In real world tests, using very familiar scenes from films, I didn't really notice any difference. My black level is at -20. Like Hanson, you settings seems a bit "hot" to me, but only you have the set in front of you.
    I've had my set about 3-4 weeks, and you will notice how the convergence will settle down in that time. Course, I'm waiting for a new board on my set, so I can't really schedule a calibration for a while.
    Congratulations on your new set, Ric![​IMG]

12. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Check out this post at HT Spot.
    I think all 533 owners will be running to adjust their contrast settings after reading it. Well, except for me and Bleddyn :wink:

13. Ric Easton

Hey, I was already at that thread! (I was talking about burn in while doing convergence) I will probably be using one of the stretch modes nfor 3x4, but I am still concerned about burn in with widescreen 2.35:1 material. Is this less of an issue... or just as risky for burn in? I'll turn down those settings more tonight... But I sure don't want the thing to look too dark! Running Avia, I had turned up that contrast quite a bit trying to get that white box to bloom, the vertical lines were bending though so I turned it down to the point where they were straight.

Ric

14. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Two issues:

1) This guy thought -3 contrast was sufficiently low. I contend it is not. Would this have happened if his contrast were -20?

2) This guy watched a lot of 4:3 broadcast in 4:3 mode. While DVD's run 90 minutes to 3 hours, you can easily leave a set on cable all day long. Unless you're watching tons of 2.35 movies without playing full screen images in between, I'd say you should be okay. Also, and I hate to sound like a broken record here, your contrast settings will make a big difference when it comes to burn in.

15. Bryan Six

Bryan Six Auditioning

Ric,

I got my Pioneer Sd533 yesterday from one-call as well. Getting in the TV was easy (I have a basement condo). Not really thrilled with picture - it's not bad, but the HD feed from HBO-HD was not that great - some noise.

What's really bothered me about this set is that there are only 3 inputs in the back! There are two s-video, two component and three composite inputs. Problem is all these are not discrete - they share inputs. Since many people use both the component and s-video signals from a HD cable box, this leaves me with one input left - for both the vcr and the DVD. Ugh.

I guess I'm regretting this RPTV and now I am stuck because of mail-ordering it.

Bryan

16. Ric Easton

Bryan,

I'm sorry to hear you are regretting it. I am very happy with my set so far. Is there some kind of high quality but inexpensive video switcher you can get to expand your options? I know I ran into trouble with my upstairs set (2 vcrs DVD and LD Player) I bought a small switcher from Radio Shack to increase my inputs. Though you may have to go with something of a little higher quality with the HDTV. I hope you learn to love your purchase... I know I was really nervous, but after seeing what this set can do, I am very happy.

Back to my settings... I lowered the contrast to Neg 15 but brightness is still at Plus 6 or 7. I really don't know if I can go lower without things looking too dark. Let me tell you that Attack of the Clones looked awesome last night. I will see if I can go lower with the settings as I suppose there are still a few of you that think I still have the contrast and brightness set too high... even though the contrast was knocked down three quarters what it was shipped as!

Ric