What's new

Agkk.. Help me decide Denon 1803 or HK 225 (1 Viewer)

BrianL

Auditioning
I can get both for the same price (both refurbished). The Denon is 6.1 and the HK is 5.1, I only really need 5.1 right now but it's nice to know that I'll be covered if I decide to go the 6.1 route later on. Please, help me decide. On a further note, the Denon 1804 can be had for 50 bux more (throwing another option into the ring).

BrianL

Auditioning
My budget is about 200-300. Both the denon and the HK can be had for about 225 from ecost. I like the denon because it's 6.1 and supports EX/DTS-ES/Neo:6, which makes it seem more future friendly (at least to me) but everyone also seems to recommend the HK sound. The ez-set option from the HK is also attractive (I'm a newbie) and the on screen display is a plus. The Denon does component video switching but I don't really need that.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

I've owned both Denon and H/K gear. I think both would offer some good sound for you. One area of the H/K gear that really accels is the larger front-panel readout. When I had the Denon 1802 and 1803 receivers, the volume indicator was quite hard to read from 7 feet away - and my eyes are very good eyes.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I can't speak for the Denon, but I love the AVR-225. I didn't use the EZ-Set but manual calibration was very easy. I didn't have to do hardly any adjusting at all for the 5 speakers. I like the fact that the HK has Logic 7. Its definitely a step up for 2 ch sources from regular Pro-Logic. I'd be wary of buying at non-authorized dealer like E-cost because of the lack of a warranty. I'm sure either the Denon or the HK will work great.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I like the overall layout of the front of the HK MUCH better than the Denon...I don't find the Denon very aesthetically pleasing, whereas the HK has a nice clean look. Not to mention the sound is quite excellent as well.

Look into HK refurbs if you want a good price on HK gear at www.harmanaudio.com they are I suppose the "factory outlet" of HK. These models will get you a full manufacturer's warranty as well.

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
if i were u i would go with HK 230 becuase it has video switching and 7.1 preouts

Yogi

Screenwriter
Depending on your speakers and your sonic preferences you can either choose Denon for a more neutral and transparent sound or the HK for a laidback warm sound. If possible audition both in your room with your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks