What's new

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 (2017-2018) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fun episode, but the whole 'We're Invincible" thing has a huge flaw. If they truly believe that, then it means the future can't change and that the Earth is doomed to crack open. If they at all are trying to change the Earth from being destroyed, then they can't go around believing that they are invincible.
That's one of the interesting tensions of this current moment on the show. What Simmons and Yo-Yo need to believe personally conflicts with what the team needs to believe strategically.

Also I'm not familiar with the comics, so does the whole "Confedaracy" and "Alien warships coming to bring war to Earth" stuff meant to tie directly into Infinity War? The timing of the show and movies release seem to show it does, but I have no idea.
Just judging by what we've seen so far, it would seem more likely to tie into the upcoming Captain Marvel movie, since it sounds like the conflict between the Kree and Skrulls, with Earth as one of the many intergalactic battlefields.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Just judging by what we've seen so far, it would seem more likely to tie into the upcoming Captain Marvel movie, since it sounds like the conflict between the Kree and Skrulls, with Earth as one of the many intergalactic battlefields.

Isn't Captain Marvel supposed to take place in the '90s though?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Captain Marvel supposed to take place in the '90s though?
Yes. Given Marvel Studios's antipathy toward Marvel Television, I'm not expecting any acknowledgment of this show in any of the movies.

But in terms of interstellar conflicts on the cosmic side of the Marvel universe, the Kree-Skrull conflict seems like the closest fit to what we've seen.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
But in terms of interstellar conflicts on the cosmic side of the Marvel universe, the Kree-Skrull conflict seems like the closest fit to what we've seen.

How so? By my eyes, nothing we have seen at all compares to anything that happened in or leading up to the Kree-Skrull War.

I'm not saying that the "big reveal" *can't* be that Earth is a battleground for the ongoing Kree-Skrull War (as established in the forthcoming Captain Marvel film)--all I'm saying is that if the show has placed breadcrumbs leading viewers naturally to that conclusion, it has done a poor job. Even acknowledging the inherent subterfuge of the Skrulls, I haven't seen any signs of their involvement thus far. I think the show's recent refocus back on Hydra further distances itself from a direct Kree-Skrull War tie-in.

At best, the show could support a re-tooled Secret Invasion story. Certain members of SHIELD/Hydra/etc could be revealed at the season finale to be and have been Skrull imposters. Then in Captain Marvel we see the war and one of the resulting events being the replacing of certain key government (non-powered) officials with Skrull doppelgangers.

Even so, part of the fun with Easter eggs and breadcrumbs is finding them. So far, I haven't seen any pointing to the Skrull side of things.

At this point I would much prefer a straight and simple tie-in to Infinity War.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
While the movies have indeed (and in my opinion should) ignore the TV universe, the TV universe has been pretty good at acknowledging the movies. I would certainly expect something as epic as the infinity war movie to have some sort of ramification or reference in the TV show. Frankly, it would be just weird if the TV show completely ignores what I'm assuming to be major events that happen in the movie. This is the only basis of my thought that the 'war' mentioned in the TV show will tie into Infinity War.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The important aspect of the “invincible” conflict to consider is that it is conditional.

They believe they are invincible as long as the timeline remains unchanged. They also understand full well that if they do change it then they can certainly die. And they are clearly willing to sacrifice themselves in order to change things. That was clear when Simmons (I think) told Mack that if they didn’t return, then that would mean they were successful.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally caught up with the last two episodes. There sure is a lot going on, but the cast and the writers handle it well. The show is as good as it has ever been, and I'm ready to see how the next five episodes play out. Rumor is that it will be renewed for a sixth season, but I don't place much stock in rumors (remember the rumor that Agent Carter would be renewed for a third season?).

If I had one complaint about this season, it's that much of it seemed to take place in various dark hallways, which can be confusing for a sense of place.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Rumor is that it will be renewed for a sixth season, but I don't place much stock in rumors (remember the rumor that Agent Carter would be renewed for a third season?).
I don't trust that we are getting a new season until I actually see the episodes. I remember Lois and Clark was renewed for two seasons (on ABC I believe) and they cut it off with one. I remember Dark Angel being announced as renewed for a third season on FOX and then being replaced by Firefly which was treated even worse by FOX. You just never know.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Agreed this is the only show that goes on the DVR that doesn't collect dust, it's also the only show on ABC that I want to watch.

And boy did it get a hell of a lot darker this weekend great episode, Yo Yo totally kicked ass, and I could see the look of horror on Quakes face. Of course this is leading to an inevitable Showdown or an invasion, which if you think about it this happened about the same time as Infinity War crossover possibilities one one could only hope.

But with the way the Marvel Cinematic Universe has played out, it would be referenced on Agents of Shield but wouldn't be referenced in the movie and that's a damn shame. Would love to see some of Thanos's thugs beat the crap out of the Kree. For total global domination

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
but unlike all the other tie-in's in the past, this time it was just given a mention, and dropped, for it's own "Invasion", and Phil still gets to be perfect smart ass when the scene calls for it, "You have a large Alien Space ship, over a US city, in the current political climate, i expect you will get shot down. Just in your face, as he can be.

Rule 1 : always go through all the options before making a selection

Rule 2 : if you are getting rid of dangerous stuff, wouldn't you also disable the equipment that is attached to?

Rule 3: Never fight in a basement (no way out/ or complete lockdown)

Rule 4: if somone is Batshi* Crazy why would you only send one person to get them?

love the episode, hope the do get one more season,

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I'm grateful that they aren't mentioning IW in the show too much, because I would hate it if the movie got spoiled for me by watching the tv show. I'm guessing Jake Busey's line about "Have you seen what's been going on in New York?" is the tie in.

I was confused a bit about the gravitonium. It looks like a lot of it was in the box attached to the machine, and presumably that would be what the invaders are after, so why are they all converging on the team in the command center. Also Deke was carrying a canister of it in his thermos, so what was that for again? Also Talbot becoming gravity god, while very cinematic, doesn't make a lot of sense. Why could he absorb it with no issues, when someone who was training their whole life went crazy after just 8%? Was it because he was already crazy, so it made no difference to him?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
But with the way the Marvel Cinematic Universe has played out, it would be referenced on Agents of Shield but wouldn't be referenced in the movie and that's a damn shame. Would love to see some of Thanos's thugs beat the crap out of the Kree. For total global domination

I won’t get into specifics, but Thanos has no interest in dominating Earth, or anywhere really. He only has one simple goal.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm surprised they mentioned the events of Infinity War at all; given how that ended it would seem very difficult to sync up with.
Yes, I thought it was odd that they mentioned New York because that ties this to happening at the same time as the events of Infinity War. So now they need to have happen here what “happened”, and I don’t see how they could possibly incorporate that into this ongoing storyline.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yes, I thought it was odd that they mentioned New York because that ties this to happening at the same time as the events of Infinity War. So now they need to have happen here what “happened”, and I don’t see how they could possibly incorporate that into this ongoing storyline.
Actually, they did tie it in.

DO NOT READ SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN INFINITY WAR

50% of the TV characters are on Agents Of Shield, and 50% were on Inhumans / Agent Carter. Now Black Bolt, Medusa, and Peggy are just dust

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ok, so they are committed to it now.

Either the show does what has to be done to go along with Infinity War, or they sidestep it somehow which would be wrong. So I think they are going to have to go with it. They pretty much have to. I guess the only question is HOW they go about it. Will it factor into the end of this season long story arc, or will it play out after this season’s story is resolved? How will they incorporate this into season 6 (if it gets renewed). Seems like doing another season will be... tricky.

Good episode. But I couldn’t help being distracted thinking about how they can go along with Infinty War when it became clear that they are attaching themselves to that event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks