What's new

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 (2017-2018) (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Despite enjoying this episode, I found myself nitpicking the gravitonium on the ship.

First off how in the hell has nobody noticed the flying ship before, it's not cloaked or anything.

Second, they literally say it's a "needle in a haystack" and then immediately find it.

Third, if they wanted to extract the gravitonium without the risk of everyone crashing down with the ship, why didn't they just cut a hole down to it from above, so they could just box it up that way, and the ship could have immediately fallen without any incident.

Finally, I really hope there was nothing down there below the ship when it fell.

All in good fun, but as a non-story writer, I often wonder how if someone like me can come up with these nitpicks immediately, how the writers missed them.

Oh, and again with the tons of references to waaay earlier seasons that have completely left my memory.

Also Also: Didn't the last time we saw the gravitonium, it had absorbed a guy and he was trapped in it? Are they ever going to bring that up again?

how many miles up?

ok so , here goes how long has it been there, i was in the navy for 25 years, let me tell you about ships, ....... they rust, that damn thing looks like it just came fresh out of Drydock with a brand new paint job, how would i know, because now i work at a shipyard.

if it is that strong, why didnt it keep going, what was there to stop it, never mind, then the show wouldnt have a point for the episode.

that much metal just floating in air, ...... radar cross section, no way it would not have been spotted. beauty of this is sometimes you just have to let the facts go and enjoy the program, and not try to make sence of it, Just like Yosemite Sam's guns, never need reloaded, but always work, you just have to assume there is somekind of devine intervention.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I enjoyed this episode, as I've enjoyed this whole season so far. I think they're taking too many breaks (that month off for February was really unnecessary) but it's been a fun ride so far.

I am kinda hoping that they allow Coulson to die at the end of the season. I appreciate that his team wants to do anything to save him, but I also was really touched by Coulson's dialogue about how he was brought back unnaturally once and doesn't want that again. And I think this show has too often hinted at serious consequences for our heroes, only for their to be none in the end. (Season 3 was pretty bad about this, going so far as to put out posters proclaiming that a Shield agent would die in the finale... and then they went the cop-out route by killing a guest star who was not actually a Shield agent.) So it's not that I've grown tired of the Coulson character, but I am a little tired of actions seeming not to have consequences. So if the season ends with Elena still missing her arms (or wearing prosthetics) and Coulson irreversibly dead, I think that would add some more weight to the storytelling.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't think Coulson will die, nor do I think he should. Far too many shows are always killing off characters, and it's such a cliche that it's predictable. It's the opposite of shock value now. The show was built around Coulson; if it has any chance of continuing, it must be with him. Also, there have been hints dropped that Coulson will reunite with the Avengers, possibly in an after-credit sequence in one of the new Avengers films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My feeling is that if Coulson shouldn't die, then the show shouldn't have a plotline where he's facing certain, unstoppable death. It cheapens the emotions of that plotline, and the impact of everyone saying goodbye to him and dealing with the impending loss, if in the end there's no loss.

If you would have asked me before the season began if I felt he should die, my answer would be no, but since they've started going down that road... I want to see them take it to its logical conclusion. To me, it wouldn't be about shock value but just delivering on what the show promised. Otherwise, why should I feel any emotion whenever the show puts a character in danger, if ultimately the danger is never real?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My feeling is that if Coulson shouldn't die, then the show shouldn't have a plotline where he's facing certain, unstoppable death. It cheapens the emotions of that plotline, and the impact of everyone saying goodbye to him and dealing with the impending loss, if in the end there's no loss.
I agree, with the following caveat: Coulson doesn't necessarily need to die, but if he doesn't the cost of his survival needs to be equal or greater than his death would have been.

The one thing about him dying is that it would solve the continuity issue of it being increasingly improbable that none of the big screen heroes have discovered that he was resurrected.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree, with the following caveat: Coulson doesn't necessarily need to die, but if he doesn't the cost of his survival needs to be equal or greater than his death would have been.

I would be okay with that. We're on the same page here.

I just felt it was such a cop-out that tease they did for the last half of Season 3, when the promotional posters and "next week" teasers all heavily promoted that an AGENT OF SHIELD WOULD DIE IN THE FINALE!!!! and then that didn't actually happen. It was cop out because they led us to believe, very specifically, that a regular cast member who was an agent in good standing would die as part of the price for victory. Instead, they ended up killing a character who was not actually an agent of Shield, and who was not actually a regular cast member but a guest star. They used the promise of something happening to boost audience interest, and then didn't deliver on what they promised.

So for them to bring up that Coulson is dying, to have laid the groundwork for that since the middle of last season, and to have had multiple characters this season comment on how he's definitely dying and how there's no fix for it.... to me, it would be pretty lame if someone walks in a moment before the season ends and says, "Oh, by the way Phil, just take these vitamin pills and you'll be fine again!"

It's not that I'm looking for bloodshed. I'm just looking for this week's narrative thread to tie into next week's, etc., and not for them to artificially inflate the drama when they have no intention of following through with the ideas they bring into play.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't care for the big reveal about evil Fitz at all, because split personality storylines have been done to death (including, inexplicably, with the Riddler on "Gotham" right now). I get why the needed to restore Quake's powers so the pieces would be in place for the final act of the season, but I would have preferred it if they'd just stuck with evil Fitz being a fear apparition manifested from their memories of the Framework.

But I did like the the unique way that Zeek gave Simmons hope that things with Fitz would turn out okay, by revealing their familial connection. The whole scene was well-written and well-acted.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So... for all you guys who said that everything that happened in the framework didn't matter because it was all fake and just like waking up from a dream, well this episode should prove to you that it does matter. The framework had lasting effects and has now turned Fitz into Norman Bates!

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
so pissed my dvr messed up and didnt record this weeks episode, the return of evil fitz

Hmm. Mine didn't record either. DVR History shows that it did not record because it was a repeat! Next week's is also showing as a repeat, so I manually forced it to record. Week after is back to showing as New.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Everything in the season so far makes it seem that this is the final season for Agents of SHIELD. At least, we know that they are prepared in case it, as this article discusses.

It looks like we are getting more of an explanation of Hale's actions in the next episode.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
So... for all you guys who said that everything that happened in the framework didn't matter because it was all fake and just like waking up from a dream, well this episode should prove to you that it does matter. The framework had lasting effects and has now turned Fitz into Norman Bates!

Well May was an assassin for Hydra in the framework, and you don't hear her whining and crying about it in the real world. Fitz is such a baby! :D

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well May was an assassin for Hydra in the framework, and you don't hear her whining and crying about it in the real world. Fitz is such a baby! :D
Yeah, but as I recall she was still a goodie, and turned against Hydra inside the framework. She was in the framework the longest and you'll remember she was so resilient that they just couldn't break her. Fitz may be a brilliant scientist but he's weak-willed.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yeah, but as I recall she was still a goodie, and turned against Hydra inside the framework. She was in the framework the longest and you'll remember she was so resilient that they just couldn't break her. Fitz may be a brilliant scientist but he's weak-willed.

Yes, the smiley at the end of my post was meant to mean it was said in jest.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The repetitive nature of Hydra's initiation ritual for new arrivals at the training facility paid dividends in this episode, as Phil Coulson subverted the script at each turn. I particularly liked seeing Ruby's reaction; he's the first one to impress her enough to make her break her studied unresponsiveness.

It's always a risk when a show asks a guest star to carry an episode, but
Alyssa Jirrels was up to the task as the younger Hale. It was interesting to see how Hydra was so effective at infiltrating both S.H.I.E.L.D. and the various world governments, and see the seeds planted for its eventual destruction. Hale was the most promising candidate, but Von Strucker fit the Hydra mold so he got the most plum assignment.

When Daisy tells Fitz “We don’t turn on our own here,” I love that Fitz came back at here with, “Do you want me to recall all the times you did?” One of the things that turned me off the show and led to me dropping the show a couple seasons ago was Skye/Daisy/Quake's self-righteous and impulsive behavior.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Fun episode, but the whole 'We're Invincible" thing has a huge flaw. If they truly believe that, then it means the future can't change and that the Earth is doomed to crack open. If they at all are trying to change the Earth from being destroyed, then they can't go around believing that they are invincible.

Also I'm not familiar with the comics, so does the whole "Confedaracy" and "Alien warships coming to bring war to Earth" stuff meant to tie directly into Infinity War? The timing of the show and movies release seem to show it does, but I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks