What's new

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 5 (2017-2018) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It seems that Season 5 of Agents of SHIELD will debut sooner than the rumored January premiere. ABC says SHIELD will resume right after The Inhumans' eight-week run, so expect to see Season 5 in either late November or early December.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/06/agents-of-shield-return-date/

Clark Gregg and Ming-Na Wen have posted a few pictures to Twitter from Season 5's production.

Also, actor Jeff Ward will have a recurring role in Season 5:

https://deadline.com/2017/08/marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-jeff-ward-recur-season-5-1202142729/

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
If they don't double up on Inhumans, then the eighth episode will air on November 17th. The following Friday is Black Friday, which is a horrible time to premiere a show. Best case scenario, they'll be able to fit three episodes in December before needing to take a break for the holidays.

There are 20 Fridays between January 5th and May 18th, which can fit 22 episodes if they do a two hour premiere and finale.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm pretty sure the season premiere on September 29th is a double episode.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
That is true, which still means that the show ends on November 3rd or 10th, depending on if they double up on the finale.

Looking back at the programming history, especially on Friday nights, new episodes don't air on Black Friday, nor do they seem to air past December 15th or so.

If SHIELD starts in November, then we get 1 or 2 episodes, a week off, 2 or 3 more episodes, then 2-3 weeks off, and then they can start in earnest in January. Looks like a great way to kill any momentum.

But then, on the other hand, ABC might have realized that the Olympics are taking up most of February and don't want to compete against that.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
So this Friday the long wait, is over with a two hour premier, time to find out what the hell or where they are in "space", been looking forward to this for a while.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I am already tired of this plot. Being in space is interesting, being displaced in time to a possible future is a pain. I guess the idea might have been to get them all out of the way of what is going on in the cinematic universe.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Unfortunately, I am already tired of this plot. Being in space is interesting, being displaced in time to a possible future is a pain. I guess the idea might have been to get them all out of the way of what is going on in the cinematic universe.

yea advancing the story 90 years in the future gets them out of the Infinity War tie in, or does it? we don't know what the second movie is going to involve, but i would think that as things go along, and yes i understand that Feige considers the TV series (ABC and Netflix as sort of bastard Stepchildren). but actually i would hope that the writers have an insight or directive as to the way to progress to still tie into the MCU.

As for all of the series, i will; say this, the characters Hero's and Villain's are completely more developed in that longer format.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
actually i would hope that the writers have an insight or directive as to the way to progress to still tie into the MCU.

Unfortunately, with the way that the films and series are produced by now-separate divisions within Marvel, I don't think this is as likely to happen as it once was.

Essentially, the head of Marvel is a guy named Ike Perlmutter, who by most (all?) accounts is a nightmare to work with and not very knowledgeable or concerned with the quality of the actual content. When the MCU got started up with Iron Man, Kevin Feige reported to Perlmutter, and the two did not get along. (Perlmutter is responsible for, among other things, the lack of Black Widow merchandise compared to the male Avenger merchandise, because Perlmutter was convinced that no one would want action figures or toys with girls on them.) The TV division also reported to Perlmutter. Because of this, when they started doing TV with Agents Of Shield, there was a push for the TV to connect to the films. But with the continued success of the film division, Kevin Feige was able to convince Disney to change the corporate organization chart a few years ago, and it was changed so that Feige no longer reported to Perlmutter. Now Feige reports directly to Disney. Perlmutter was very big on Inhumans, believing that if the Inhumans were pushed hard enough to the public that they would become more popular than the X-Men. When Feige no longer was forced to report to Perlmutter, one of the first things he did was to throw the announced Inhumans movie off the theatrical schedule, since it was something he never wanted to make in the first place. Perlmutter still remained in charge of the TV division, though, so that's why we got an Inhumans miniseries. Another thing to keep in mind: when Agents Of Shield began its run, Joss Whedon was both creator and executive producer of the TV show, writer/director of the (then) upcoming Avengers: Age Of Ultron, and creative consultant for the entire Phase 2 slate of movies. There's no one today who has a similar role shared across both films and shows.

Ultimately, the movie and TV worlds aren't really connected anymore, at least from a corporate infrastructure point of view. They're made by different divisions which don't share personnel, and the person in charge of the films doesn't have a relationship with the person in charge of television.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Right. Agents of SHIELD is now doing more “thematic” tie-ins than direct tie-ins. Last year they incorporated the supernatural because Doctor Strange introduced that to the MCU. This season they are doing some space related stuff because of Guardians, Ragnarok and Infinity War. But I don’t believe their plot with being in the future with a destroyed Earth is a direct tie in to Infinity War. Though I’m sure they are happy to let people wonder about that for a good run of episodes.

“We try to a little bit follow in the wake of the films as they plot new territory in the MCU,” Whedon said at a press event in Los Angeles (via CBR). “Last year that was magic, with Doctor Strange. We felt like Ghost Rider all of a sudden fit into our show in a way that we didn’t necessarily feel like he would have before, tonally. And this is us expanding out even further into the world of space which they very much are living in now in the features. It’s the great unknown, and we hadn’t explored it yet.”

“It’s a thematic tie,” Whedon said of the move to space. “We try to make it feel like that the whole thing is moving in this swelling direction. We’re not in space for no reason. We wouldn’t have gone there if they hadn’t. The overt ties were a necessity of starting out, but those have faded over time, basically because we have our own mythology. That started to be much more interesting to us, and hopefully to the audience, just digging that stuff up. No one wants to come to see our show to see another show. Now they want to see our show, which, yay.”

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Glad the show is back. Seems like an interesting angle for them to explore. I liked the silent Kree enforcer with the Ben Wa balls of death.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I sort of have the opposite reaction to a lot of you. The novelty of MCU tie-ins for the sake of MCU tie-ins has sort of worn off for me. In the Netflix series, where the various shows all take place in the same city, it makes sense that we see some characters across multiple series. But in other cases, it doesn't feel organic at all.

I dropped this series a couple seasons back, and the attempts at MCU tie-ins were part of the reason: Since the relationship was always one way, with the show constantly referencing events in the movies, but the movies never being affected by the events of the show, it always made the show feel very ancillary. Whether it was the Lady Sif showing up for a couple episodes that will never ever be referenced in any Thor movies, or the team cleaning up the aftermath of The Dark World, it seemed like a constant reminder that this show is the McDonalds Happy Meal tie-in toy of the MCU.

I decided to give the show another shot Friday after being encouraged by some of the casting choices, and intrigued by the new premise. And I loved it. Instead of clinging to the coattails of the movies, it carved out its own little epic corner of the MCU, in a timeline that will (hopefully) be averted by the end of the season. It took a handful of familiar characters and plopped them into a completely different world. And now we get to see if they can sink or swim in this new environment. They don't feel like D-listers in someone else's story anymore. They feel like the A-listers of their own story.

Doubtless the Kree stuff will help flesh out some of the world building ahead of Captain Marvel, but I think that's the extent of the tie-in. And I'm good with that. As long as the various movies and TV shows don't contradict each other, I'm happy to see them play in their own sandboxes, and I can accept that all of the little sandboxes are part of a larger sandbox.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I only watched part 1 last night on ABC's streaming app. It was terrific. It was a great re-introduction to the series, with no one, including the audience knowing what was happening. I look forward to Part 2 tonight.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Got a link for that?
I don’t have a link at the moment, but that philosophy of his is something that has been reported on multiple occasions throughout the years.

The guy basically made his fortune running a toy company, and there have been many anecdotal reports of him not wanting to do female super hero toys because of his view that they don’t sell.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed Part 2 a lot, although it's pretty bleak. I hope the rest of the season isn't so grim.

Is it just me or is that Kree overlord half human?

Anyone know how many episodes have been ordered this season?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed Part 2 a lot, although it's pretty bleak. I hope the rest of the season isn't so grim.

Is it just me or is that Kree overlord half human?

Anyone know how many episodes have been ordered this season?
Wikipedia has 22 episodes as the number.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok so I work the night shift and always have to catch this on the DVR the next day, so here goes, I love this show, even when it was trying really hard to tie in, but the past two seasons, it having its own story lines, doesn't hold this back, let it run free, and do its thing. That said I am digging dropping them into this future, dark, yes, grim, yes, it gives them a reason to work and show off their skills. Another thing, an now matter that fact that ABC/Disney/Marvel have let this not get the same releases that the Netflix series are for those of us who may like a hard pressed disc, there is no denying that the money is being well spent, the SFX are top notch, and have been. Ultimately I want to see Quake kick some Kree ass this season, its just getting started folks.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
So Yoyo totally planted that gun on the guy, right? If so then she pretty much executed him herself, going completely against all the morals that Coulson set up for the team in letting him live in the first place. Wonder if that issue will be brought up again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks