Agent Under Fire (Gamecube) Reviews

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty Lockstead, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Hello everybody,
    I would just like to ask about your opinions on this new Bond game. I currently own an N64 and am considering buying a cube if this game is as good as the demo shows. Thanks for your feedback! [​IMG]

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I've not played either yet, but the Agent Under Fire reviews have been fairly universally mediocre - it doesn't seem to have a tiny fraction of the magic that was in Goldeneye.

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

The PS2 reviews were indeed mediocre. It has been polished up for the Gamecube, with a solid 4-player mode that most people (including myself) enjoy quite a bit. The one player is fun for a while, but multiplayer is where it's at.
    No official online reviews yet. I did find some reader reviews: James Bond 007 - Agent Under Fire
    EDIT: The review at Gamespot for the PS2 version was 6.8, but the reader reviews were significantly higher (8.4). Usually, in cases like that, where the critics review is well below what the readers think, I tend to average the two. Agent Under Fire (PS2) at Gamespot (And remember, that's for the PS2 version; the Gamecube version should rate higher due to the multiplayer mode alone).
    At IGN, they rated it a 7.7, which is a "good" rating (fair < good < great). To access the review, you need to be an Insider (ugh).

4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I bought this game Sat, and I'm returning it today. EA did something VERY stupid! In the single player game, you CAN NOT turn off AUTO-AIM! Only in multiplayer can you have advanced controller properties to adjust, such as yaw movement and auto-aim. It's beyond me why EA did such a STUPID move. Why the hell would you not want those options in single-player? Not one single review I read addressed this MAJOR FLAW!

It really bugs me that some developers don't allow freedom over button assignments and other configurations. Everyone has their own style in FPS games, and they need to address that!

Also, the game is just boring. It's like they designed it for people not familar with FPS's. Not one single thing you do will catch you by surprise. The damn camera zooms in on a bad guy, or some object you need to interact with whenever you get near it. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are MUCH better games. Don't confuse this with the quality those titles have.

The rail part of the game is boring as well, and once again, the auto-aim can't be turned off. The only bright spot are the driving sequences. Very well done, but not enough of them and certainly not good enough to help this medicore FPS out.

If you're looking for a great FPS, well, you'll have to wait. Or do what I'm going to do... return the game and finally buy an Xbox & Halo :) (note: I still love my Gamecube!)

Mike D.

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Mike_D, I agree COMPLETELY. Autoaim that can't be turned off SUCKS. There is no way I'd ever play a FPS that AIMS for me. What's the point? I was slightly interested in this game for the Xbox, but if it is all autoaim, then forget about it...

6. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

i thought it was very kewl for 1player mode and will be purchasing it on pay day!

7. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Rusty, how long did you play it for? And have you played many FPS's? Just wondering, because this is very simplistic.

8. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

I played it for a few days.. almost beat it on easy, but the simplicity is something that i like about it, but you should take into consideration before buying it... ( i will just raise the difficulty after i beat it) i dont mind because i am a bond fanatic, i loved goldeneye for n64. and this one i like alot because it has a storyline with cinematics which i wish goldeneye had.. as far as my experience with FPS, i have played quite a few in my day as far back as wolfenstein and doom to quake 3 arena, unreal tournament, avp2, and even halo on xbox, which i hated at first, but then came to appreciate it once i got used to the controls.. (need that mouse and kb)

9. Marty Lockstead

Thanks everybody for your feedback! I'll problably end up picking up a system and this game despite its imperfections, because, like Rusy Ray, I'm a Bond fanatic, and also loved Goldeneye for the N64. At the moment, my only concern is becoming accustomed to the controller.
    Happy gaming![​IMG]

10. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

The controller was alot easier to get accustomed to than the xbox controller for halo...

11. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Anyone know where to email the developer to find out about the auto-lock feature for the Xbox version?

12. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

actually i think if you disable the cross hair it will not auto lock, cause when i did it, it got alot harder....

13. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

The single player is fun but not great(although the driving levels were pretty cool) but the 4 player multiplayer is awesome. You have alot more control over the options for the game than you did in games like Goldeneye. I've got the PS2 version and the only reason I still hang onto it is because the multiplayer is so fun.

14. Randall Z

Randall Z Stunt Coordinator

is it true that on the X-box version, you can't use "bots" if you have 4 human players?

If so, are there any x-box games that allow you to have 4 humans plus computer controlled characters?

Thanks

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

On the PS2 version, my favorite part was the menus.

-Dave

16. Marty Lockstead

Hello everyone,
    Last week I bought the system and Agent Under Fire, as a result this is the first time I've been on line since then.
    As I expected, I love the game, it's right up my alley. Since I've already finished it on the "operative" and "agent" settings, I decided to go through and open up as many bonus levels and weapons as I can. The best one so far IMO was getting the LOTUS ESPRIT for the driving levels instead of using the Aston Martin DB-5. It is smaller, faster, and more manuverable. I also bought the component cables for it and the video quality is simply amazing![​IMG] My buddy Jason Whyte can definately vouch for me on this one. Thanks again for all your feedback folks.[​IMG]