What's new

Age when you started disliking your b-day?... (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I just turned 46 last month, and while it was no big deal to me, my family enjoyed pampering me for the day.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
heh, i doubt 21 is gonna be too exciting either, since legal drinking age here is 19 :D

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
todd s: 37 was the precise age I started feeling like an actual grownup. Before that, I still felt pretty much the same way I felt in my late 20's, an adult impostor. Must be something magic about the number 37--you can't say you're in your "mid-30s" any more, so you have to admit you're really pushing 40.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I will be 36 next month and I ran into one of those "No longer adult" moments this past Christmas and I think I can nail it down.

I see my cousins on the holidays. Every year (since they were kids), I've always felt like the "cool" cousin because I was older than them. As we got older, I still felt pretty cool around them until they turned 16'ish...

Now they drive themselves to my aunts and they have boyfriends and girlfriends. I no longer feel like the 'cool' adult who can hang out with the kids. And what made this Christmas worse is, my cousin is 18 - by August, I'll be twice her age! :frowning: That makes me feel a lot older.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Mark, Just wait until you have neices and nephews that can drive ... or a niece you see out in a bar and your friends check her out. :b

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. Last winter I went to visit my nephew in college. He was in his freshman year. After going out to dinner. It was late and I dropped the wife and kids back at the hotel and drove him back to his dorm. It was Friday night and like when I went to college...everyone was having a good time. We walk off the elevator and their was another kid (obviously drunk) with beer in hand. He sees me and looks like he saw the cops. He gets all nervous and asks my nephew if I was his Dad. His DAD!!!! I was only 36. When I berated him for thinking that...He asked me if I wanted to play beer pong. I politely said no..Since unlike my college days..I have 3 kids who will wake me up much earlier than a hangover would allow. :D

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Looks like I'm in the minority -- I absolutely ENJOY my birthdays -- every single one of them. Where else can you get free food, free cake, free stuff, and free money without any additional effort?

I cant think of anywhere you can except Christmas!!! Although, that's minus the cake, of course. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D :D :D

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

Maybe because of its association with the movie Clerks... :D

Me? I turned 40 last September. Hated it. But at the same time, I'm finally living in a personal decade where I feel society takes you much more seriously than if you were a decade younger. Many of my projects seemed crazy to other when I was in my thirties. But now that I'm in my forties, people pay more attention.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the middle as I don't really keep track of them other than to remember its during "x" month. Last time someone asked how old I was and I had to do the math. :) Sort of a general estimate is a good enough answer for most. Maybe when I make that Senate campaign, I'll care.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Birthdays, Christmas, basically all holidays, around 8. I'm just getting to where I don't completely despise them. I guess I'm a little bit in Zen's territory, without the Goth factor.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's weird, I think in the past 4-5 years, I may have listened to 10-15 new music albums, that's an anemic amount for me, but nowadays, I don't care for the new stuff either.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
This year I turn 50. It's the first time an upcoming birthday makes me less than happy, even though I'm only eleven years past 39.

:D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Hmmm...didn't think that occurred until the late 60's. Depends on the person, I guess. :D

I've never really cared for birthdays. I've always hated being the center of attention, so parties are not really a good time for me.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
In my case, though I am facing the big 4-0 next month, I still look forward to my birthday.

When I was a little girl, my folks would let me stay home from school, and we'd go out to a nice lunch, and they would let me choose something fun and cool to do.

As an adult, I simply declare a national holiday, and go out and have fun that I normally would not do on a "regular" day.

I'm not thrilled about getting old, but I offset it by taking myself out and treating myself.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I stopped counting and caring after 30.

Awhile back someone asked my age and I said 36. My brother said "your not 36 you asshole" :)(35 was the correct answer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - For my 30th, all of my co-workers were away at a meeting, so the next year, they had this big 30th celebration on my 31st birthday...of course, it stuck out in my mind so much that on my 32nd birthday, I was remembering the 30th celebration (just a year ago) and I kept thinking I was turning 31. Damn, what a shock when I realized I had aged 2 years instead of the 1 that I thought I had aged!!!!! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks