What's new

Age when you started disliking your b-day?... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
So I turned 37 today. And I just am not excited. I remember as a kid...I was thrilled, especially when I turned 21. But, man I cannot believe how fast time has been going these last few years. It only seems like yesterday I turned 30.
My question is this. How old were you when you started to dread your b-day?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm 32, and haven't started to dread it (don't imagine I will), but I've become rather indifferent.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Are you talking about DREADING it ? Or merely losing excitement about it....

I lost excitement in my mid-20's (except for the big 3-0).

Now I'm hitting 43 (OUCH !!!) and I am really dreading it. I'm not supposed to be this frickin' old (or bald) and still acting like a kid !

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I became indifferent around 20. I'm 36 now and although I'm indifferent, I certainly don't dread it-- the alternative is worse. ;)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Happy B-Day, dude. It's my B-Day too!:D Capricorns rock. There's you, me, Elvis and Jesus.

As to topic, if people didn't keep calling me to wish me happy birthday, I'd probably would have went through the entire day without realizing it. So I guess I'm pretty indifferent. I didn't even know what age I was until I did the math (2006-1972=34)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
The last birthday which resulted in anything that mattered was 26, when I no longer had to register for the selective service. The next big one after that is 55 when I become eligible for senior discounts. Not all that much to be excited about for the 29 years inbetween.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Eric. After 25-26, there are no more real 'milestone' birthdays...well, at least none that are very exciting.

30 was a bittersweet milestone, but that's really the last one I think I'll feel any bit of 'excitement' over. Yeah, since there aren't a lot of milestone birthdays after 30, they all start blending together and go by quick.

I really do think 30 is a big number. I think I will always view it this way - You tend to view your life pre-30 and post-30. The first 30 years are big ones and the years after 30 are almost like the next chapter in your life.

Pre-30, you tend to view your life more in the "now" and what you've done that particular year (or will do). Post-30, you tend to view your life more as a whole and not so much by your particular age that year.

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
The ones I remember:

17 - Licensed to Drive
21 - Legally Drink
25 - No More Assigned Risk Pool for Auto Insurance
62 - Not there yet but I will be able to draw reduced SS benefits if I want to
66 - The Age I will be able to draw full SS Benefits.

All the others were irrelevant.

This year I'll be 60 but I have this quote prominently placed in my game room.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,
We grow old because we stop playing."

Hunter P

Screenwriter
You guys are forgetting...

Age 25 The age when you are eligible to become a Congressional Representative.

Age 30 The age when you are eligible to become a Senator.

Age 35 The age when you are eligible to become President of the United States of America.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In college I was often somewhat annoyed on my birthday. With it being in the summer I missed the usual celebration all my other friends got during the school year, when everyone was around. I was meaning to put together an early summer birthdays party but it never happened.

On my 26th birthday my friends threw me a surprise party, which I will always remember fondly, but I don't think I'd want something like that for another couple decades.

These days I still like birthdays, mainly because it means a comfortable evening with friends, having dinner and watching a movie in my honor. And usually I'm the one to organize it, which is probably a result of my college frustration of feeling neglected. I suppose it looks funny but it doesn't really seem that odd to me now. I have a friend who buys her own cake!

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I've always taken a different tack. I love to celebrate my birthday... I look at it as it's my day to shine and be noticed (and another year above ground to boot!). I do hate to plan my own Birthday party, but as I am the one who does that kind of thing in my family no one seems to take the time and effort to reciprocate. This year I turn 30, so I'm planning a weeklong vacation to celebrate.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

Two. After that, I knew I couldn't just poop or pee my pants without being punished, plus it got so confusing counting my age in half-years.

Bruce

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What I find funny. Is that I get upset that I am getting too old become a baseball player....Like it would ever happen...But, when I was in my 20's...I was it could happen. Now, players my age (37) are retired or at the end of their careers. :D

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I've thought about it that way too. Actually, it makes me laugh now to hear about athletes who were born in 1986. I graduated college that year, and it feels like yesterday to me sometimes. Then I hear players in the Rose Bowl were born that year for example, and it makes me realize how many years I have on them.

36 was the only birthday that bothered me a little. Everyone kept saying "oh, you're 36...closer to 40 than 30". I hated when people said that. :thumbsdown:

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Wow, you guys are depressing. I'm with David, I enjoy my BD every single year (47). It's a rare year I don't take off from work. I love getting the presents; plus, I usually get one for myself, just in case. And in our family the tradition is the BD person get to pick what we do for the day. I usually go with a movie and board games (drives the kids nuts!). To cap it off, my wife usually makes steak and cajun shrimp. And the cake.

Now I'm going to go check the calendar ...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I just turned 20 a bit over a month ago. although i didn't DREAD it at all, it just seemed like no big deal. i wasn't excited over it, it just felt like any other day, nothing special really.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Hint: When you start thinking of yourself at 21 as "a kid", it's time to start disliking your birthday.

Me - 35 was terrible and I don't even know why. I didn't even realize it was my birthday until my dad pointed it out, but I was in a foul mood. However, all my 35th birthdays since then have been much better.:)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I remember 20. It was weird because I LOVED being labeled "teen" and when I hit 20, it was all over. :frowning:

Maybe it was because all of my friends were a year younger than I was and I felt kind of out of the loop because I was no longer a teen like they were.

That's also why 21 wasn't as exciting as 22. Since everyone was a year younger, I couldn't go to the bars with them until they turned 21.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

I was given dead goldfish for a present. I did get a bike but the neighborhood bully beat my ass and stole it. I had a very Goth childhood. Traditional Goth, that is. Birthday's are suppossed to suck I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks