age old screen question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Travis, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I am moving into a new house and have a basement room which will be used as a HT room. The dimensions are 10'6 by 22. The walls and ceiling are going to be painted a flat dark color (blue, grey, black). The carpet is a beige color but will be replaced in the next few months with a darker color. The light will be completely controlled. I have decided to go with the Panasonic AE900 after reading a lot of great reviews. It also helps that it currently has a $400 mail in rebate right now. I am leaning towards either a 92 or 106" fixed screen (106 is winning), from Da lite. I do have a question about screen gain and color. According to projector central they recommend a matte white screen with a gain of 1.3. Does this sound right? Any suggestions on this issue would be appreciated.

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

If they're recommending the Stewart Filmscreen 130, yes, but it's the Rolls Royce of screens, and may very well cost about as much as a small car.

For that size, I'd recommend a matte-white screen, with a gain of 1.0, or a gray screen (0.7 - 0.8 gain.)

Dalite is good about giving out samples of their screen material; a lot of people like it; I didn't. A lot of people like Carada. Lots of other people are very happy with painted sheet-rock.

Leo

3. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I will certainly look into the Carada screens. I am still wondering which would be the best; white, or gray.

4. GregDas

GregDas Auditioning

Travis, it's all about preference. For me, I went the way of 92", though the 106" was very tempting!
    The screen width for the 106" is 92" where as the 92" diag screen is only 80". I felt since my room width was only about 136" this left only 28" on either side of the screen for decor. In my case curtains, etc...
    The larger screen at 92" wide would have only left me with 22" on either side of the screen to work with...
    Something for you to keep in mind.

I talked with Da-Lite about white vs. gray...
    With the projector I was going to use, it was decided that the white at 1.0 gain was best for my application...
    Your mileage may vary...

Greg

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Travis:

Give David Giles a call or email at Carada and I know he will fix you up with the right screen for your room and the projector that you have. They are a great company, that sells a great product with great customer service.

Parker

6. Ian_J

Ian_J Stunt Coordinator

I've used a 1.0 matte white, a gray screen (.7 / .8), and now a 1.3 gain screen. By far, I prefer the 1.3. I'm using a Sanyo Z3. If you can control the light, paint the walls and floor a dark color, I'd recommend a higher gain screen. Three years ago black levels on LCD and DLP projectors were very poor, hence the push for gray screens. In todays market, entry level projectors have OK black levels that don't require the sacrifice that the grays bring (color and white levels).

Still, as others have said, it ultimately comes down to preferrence so test as many materials as possible.

Ian