Age old question: Xbox or PS2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Shane Martin, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

FWIW, I did a search in the past 45 days and tried to come up with something but It didn't answer all my questions.

Hey guys(and gals),
    My birthday is coming up soon and I'm trying to think of a birthday gift. I currently have a high end gaming pc which is used primarily for Everquest(MMORPG), First Person Shooters, and some action titles from time to time but sports games on my old Playstation and N64 are old and the ones for the PC suck IMHO. Thus I'm thinking about picking up a console(either PS2 or X-box).
    I've weighed the differences back and forth and need some help. The games I tend to play on Playstation are PLatform games like Sonic, Mario etc, Sports(football, golf etc), and Action titles like Max Payne, Splinter Cell/Silent Hill/etc.

I don't own an HDTV(I do own a 32" with component inputs) and a decent 5.1 audio system. I'd probably run composite for the most part but might spend the extra on component cables pending an answer:

As for what deals I'm able to find I found deals like:
    1. Pre-owned Xbox and Halo for $149.(gamestop)
    2. New in the Box Xbox bundle -$199
    3. Refurb xbox $149(gamestop)
    4. Refurb PS2- $165
    5. NIB PS2 - $199 no games.

Are there any better deals out there? I'm trying to keep this below $200.

Quick comparions if I can:
    Xbox -Hard Drive(problems?) compared to a memory card thus cheaper initial cost.

Xbox -better graphics but from what I've seen not mindblowing enough to sway me either way.

Ps2-more games. Anything I can't get on xbox that will sway me? Then again the Xbox seems from what I can tell has all the games I would want(or does it?)

Ps2- more stable game company. I have a concern the xbox won't last. Reasonable fear? Then again Microsoft doesn't back down to anybody.

Ps2 - Backward compatibility but I honestly wouldn't play any of my old games. The graphics are not that appealing anymore.

Both have online play of some sorts but I dont' care about that right now.

Based on what games I will play(and your opinion on those and whats coming out), what should I buy?

I'm leaning towards the X-Box(bundle) with nfl2k3 to tide me over sports wise or the pre-owned deal with Halo(to keep me busy) and pick up nfl2k3 to go with it. I'd be saving $50. Is that worth it? or does the pre-owned xbox type deals run a unnecessary risk?

Is there anything on the ps2 that would sway me game wise that I should be aware of? Or vise versa?

Also, I heard a rumor of a pricedrop coming soon during e3. I'm thinking they will drop the price of both consoles to ~$150 but I'm not sure when E3 is.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'd say PS2 because it's got many more games, but the X-Box also has XB Live (which would add to sports games if you plan to get it).

Personally, I'd choose the PS2, but I don't have an X-Box. If you plan on getting XBL, then definitely go for the XB.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

There could be price drops in a couple of weeks when E3 rolls around.

Sean

5. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Yeah Brian I think they listed it as when hells freezes over, so it could be a little while yet.

Shane, it all depends on the type of games you like. Do like RPG's and the Grand Theft Auto series? If so go with PS2. For Xbox it's pretty much all the same games less the two types I mentioned before. Of course the Xbox has some exclusives too, mainly Halo, but in my opinion NONE of them are system sellers. If EA Sports titles like Madden are your favotite, go with the PS2. All other versions of them are PS2 ports.

On the graphics side the PS2 has aliasing problems due to lack of processing power and it is quite noticeable, but there again it's a matter of your preference, graphics or gameplay.

As for online play I feel the best experience is still on the PC.

6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

My local Electronics Boutique store is running a special that knocks the price of the XBOX Bundle down to $149 if you trade in an old system and seven games. I think Dreamcast, PS2, and Game Cube qualify. Not sure about the PS1 or N64.

That's one system, s controller, and two games for less than $150. Pretty amazing.

Peace,

DM

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

I like 'em both, but if you're playing sports games, keep in mind that for four players on PS2 you need to buy the multitap whereas the Xbox comes with four controller ports built in.

No matter which one you end up getting you should seriously consider getting the component cables, or at least s-video, the difference is remarkable.

9. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

My thoughts on each of your points, Shane:

Xbox -Hard Drive(problems?) compared to a memory card thus cheaper initial cost. Actually, this is a major advantage to the Xbox, and not just from a cost perspective. The built-in hard drive allows cool things like your own music to be stored on the HD and played back during gameplay in certain games, faster level loading, and obviously thousands of gamesaves without keeping track of memory cards. It would be nice if it was bigger than 8GB, though. I have never heard of anyone actually coming close to filling their Xbox hard drive yet, but 40 gig like the optional PS2 hard drive would have been nice.

Xbox -better graphics but from what I've seen not mindblowing enough to sway me either way. True. The graphics do tend to be somewhat better on average, but just how much better varies a great deal from game to game. The better TV you have, the more of a difference you will see (generally). But the difference isn't night and day, and some of the recent PS2 games have come out with graphics of a quality that I don't think anyone would have predicted 2 years ago.

Ps2-more games. Anything I can't get on xbox that will sway me? Then again the Xbox seems from what I can tell has all the games I would want(or does it?) This is really the crux of the matter, and ultimately what every decision like this comes down to--which system has the games YOU want to play? Look for system exclusives that you can't live without. If it's GTA3 or a Final Fantasy game, the PS2 is where it's at. If it's MechAssault or Jet Set Radio Future, go with the Xbox. This is where I would advise you to do most of your research.

Ps2- more stable game company. I have a concern the xbox won't last. Reasonable fear? Then again Microsoft doesn't back down to anybody. No one has a crystal ball and no one will be able to answer this question. Certainly MS is making all the right noises about staying in this for the long haul. But the fact remains that they are losing money big-time on the Xbox so far and no one, not even MS, can put up with that forever. Personally I think they are in it to win it and they won't be backing out anytime soon, but I don't have a crystal ball either. [​IMG]

Ps2 - Backward compatibility but I honestly wouldn't play any of my old games. The graphics are not that appealing anymore. If you still have your PS1, I don't see this as much of a factor. For the few times you are going to want to go back and play a PS game is it really worth it to be able to do so without hooking the PS1 back up? Maybe it is, that's a personal decision. For me, not so much.

As I said before, it comes down to games. Look at the system exclusives, because those are the only games that you be missing out on by choosing one over the other. To me, everything else is gravy. Hope that helps a little bit. [​IMG]

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Shane,

No bad choice here either way. I would think that if you have a high end PC, then you will likely get more ports and cross-overs with the Xbox. So PS2 will likely have more 'original' titles for you than the Xbox. On the other hand, if you want to play some of your PC games on a rock solid stable PC-type system, that's the Xbox.

Really no bad choice here. I'm thinking if you picked up a PS2 on eBay with something like Vice City thrown in for under $200 (and of course mem card), then that's a fine choice.

11. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

12. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

I'd wait to see if the 'New and Improved' PS2 comes out in the US ... and maybe a nice price drop around E3.

13. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

That's true, if there are going to be any price drops, they'll happen at E3.

14. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

Price drops have been pretty confirmed now, but no word on if any bundle deals will still apply. There's also the issue of the rumored smaller Xbox and the new model PS2.

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

16. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

The expected $150 for PS2 and Xbox and $99 for the Cube. I normally don't spread rumors, but people who work for game retailers have said that they have received materials confirming the drop over at DVDTalk, so it sure looks like the drops are legit at this point.

17. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Tough call. I have both and the XBox gets a majority of time (actually, my GameCube does, but that seems to be out of the question). However, 90% of my XBox time is spent on Live. If you're cheap like me, the PS2 might be a better choice simply because of the plethora of good games, especially $25 and below used.

If you go with the XBox, I'd stay away from the full-price bundle. The disc of JSRF and Sega GT 2002 can be bought on eBay for under $15 shipped; definetely take Halo or another game used. If it helps, I bought my XBox used on eBay and have had no problems at all.

Finally, HT is a big consideration for me. I have a 32" Toshiba with component video (big, big difference) that sounds much like your setup. I also have a great HT setup to go with it. Playing games in 5.1 on the XBox is a HUGE plus in my book, so I'll buy every multi-platform game on the XBox just for that feature.

My biggest gripes about each: the XBox needs more exclusive titles (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic will go a long way to fix that for me). As for the PS2, it's been my experience that multi-platform games tend to be the worst on the PS2. Also, unbelievably slow load times get old pretty quick, but that is less of a problem now.

Finally, if you have broadband, Live is fantastic. If you're even considering online play, go with the XBox.

You'll enjoy either, I'm sure. I would wait for E3, the price cut looks pretty promising at this point.

18. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I hate answering this question, but...

You mentioned that you like playing platformers. If that's true, then I'd heartily recommend the PS2. I've played some of the best platformers ever (IMO) on the PS2 just in the past year.

Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Klonoa, Rayman 2, and Maximo are some of the best platformers ever, and they're all on the PS2. If that's your bag, then there's no question here.

19. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Thanks for the verification, Allen. Boy that's a sucker deal.

And Shane, I think the advice about looking at the system exclusive games you're most interested in, together with the number of ports, is the advice to follow.