What's new

Age of parenthood? (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I think it's not that people don't have kids as the attitudes of the childless to those with kids that's the problem. E.g. take kids (no matter how well behaved) anywhere like a restaurant, art gallery, etc, and just watch the reactions of childless people. You'd probably get a better reaction if you took in a bucket of plutonium rods.
I don't know about this. As a parent, I'm all too familiar with the negative reaction parents get at these places and others.

But, rude and unreasonable as these people often are, I've seen a lot worse directed at childless people.

If I bring my kids to a restaurant, the worst thing I'm going to get are a few sour faces from a bunch of strangers, and an occassional comment made under someone's breath.

But people without children get plenty of negative reactions, and these come from people they know...Friends, family, co-workers, bosses etc...And from strangers.

The worst thing someone will say to me for bringing my kids to a restaurant is that I'm being rude. This isn't nearly as bad as childless by choice people being told they are living their lives the wrong way, that they're selfish, or making a mistake with their lives.

I'd rather have a stranger tell me to get a sitter than I would have a friend tell me I'm doing something wrong with my life.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I think it's not that people don't have kids as the attitudes of the childless to those with kids that's the problem. E.g. take kids (no matter how well behaved) anywhere like a restaurant, art gallery, etc, and just watch the reactions of childless people. You'd probably get a better reaction if you took in a bucket of plutonium rods.
I understand what your saying. I don't hate kids, I just do not want them. In college I was a camp counselor. I was in charge of 40 little 12 year old 'darlings'. They were a lot of fun. Doesn't mean I want them though. Same with dogs, I love dogs as long as they are not mine.

I could care less if people take their kids to restaurants. What does irk me though is people that bring a 5 year old to see T3, regardless if he is loud or not. What are these people thinking, that it would be a good learning experiences. I also can't stand whining babies in theaters, but I think even people that love kids hate that.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I should perhaps have added that badly-behaved kids are an anathema to adults with kids as well - perhaps more so, because if you have kids, you usually also have a shrewd idea of how you'd keep the bad behaviour in check. My own kids are no angels, but they know that if they step out of line when we're in public or if they spoil other people's enjoyment, they are in *deep* trouble.

Please could I reiterate that my comments weren't a dig at folks who don't want kids of their own - I really have no problem with this (nor I think do most parents). It's when folks who haven't got kids think they have the moral high ground and have a right to insist that kids are kept out of their lives in an impractical manner. However, by the same token, I do agree that people who think you 'should' have kids as a moral duty are way out of order.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I think many who push the kid thing onto childless couples are not much different than the Star Wars fan who expresses shock when they find out that someone hasn't seen the Star Wars trilogy yet:

"Ohmygod, you didn't see STAR WARS? What are you crazy? Go see it now. Here, take these VHS tapes and go home and watch them all in one go. Go. DO IT. Or else we will call you silly names and mock you."

:)

Although, this kind of preaching isn't too common from parents with more than one child I've found...once the novelty wears off they'll more likely say, "Yeah, kids are great. They *yawn* are *weary look* so *slow blink* full *sigh* of life. *slumped shoulders*".

I wonder if birth control has slowed the maturity of adults nowadays...I mean, you can delay having kids for a decade or more if you wanted to, so you can party and sleep around for another 10 years. You can PUT OFF growing up! Thus, you can delay responsibility as much as you'd like! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks