What's new

Age of parenthood? (1 Viewer)

AlexJ

Agent
My mother was only 19 when she had me. My dad was just 22. The older I get, the more I realize just how YOUNG they were when I became their single biggest responsibility. Luckily for me, they were responsible, mature and loving parents. I KNOW there's NO way I would be ready for children at that age. How old were your parents when they had you? Seems like the world has changed for parenting. When do you think you'll be ready to have kids, if ever? Or, if you're already a parent, how old were you when you had your first baby and how did you feel about it?
-------------------------------
[url=http://www.scottmeldrum.com/banner/spawn2.gif] [/url]

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've renamed this thread because the original thread title (Kids having kids...) wasn't what was asked in the initial post.

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
My mother was 32 and my dad was 49 when I was born. My firstborn came when I was 24. She was completely planned (my wife is diabetic so the whole process had to be very controlled). At the time I felt old enough, but looking back now, 24 seems extremely young.

MikeP

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
My Mom was 24 and my Dad 26 when I was born but I was their 3rd child. When I was that age I couldn't even fathom being married, let alone have 3 kids. My wife and I (married 6 years) just had our first in April. I'm 37 and my wife is 33. I waited to get married and I waited to have kids and I'm glad that I did.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
My parents were both ~21 when I was born. I'll turn 30 this year and still don't consider myself close to being ready for that.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
My parents were in their late 30s when they had me, adn 6 years later they had my brother. They both waited to get married and waited to have kids. I, on the other hand, got married at 22 (a year ago) and am ready to have kids now. I think it's just different for everyone, really. Some people want it young, some people don't, and most of the time people deal with the unexpected (unplanned pregnancy or infertility).

SteveA

Supporting Actor
My mother was 18 when I was born and my father was almost 20. There were times when I was growing up when my parents' relative immaturity was detrimental - and like most people who marry in their teens, they divorced. All things considered, they didn't do a bad job parenting, though. And now that I'm older (31), it's nice having parents that are not anywhere close to being elderly! My mom hasn't even hit 50 yet!

As for me, I had my first (and so far, only) child at age 30, a nice age to start a family.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Dad was 27 and Mom 25 when I was born (I was the first).

Our child was born when I was 35 and my wife 30.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
My mom had me at 34 and I was the 4th child, and 7 years behind my brother. They thought they were done...oops:D

My wife was 33 when we had our first and we may have another one next year, when my wife will be 35.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I'm 36 and my wife is 32 and we're looking forward to having kids; It's getting to the point that we want to get going. My mom waa 43 and my dad was 51 when they had me though!!!!! Let's say they were surprised ;)

Michael Toguchi

Stunt Coordinator
My parents had me in their high 20's, and my sister in their mid 20's (my sister is 3 years older). We seemed to have turned out okay. I am about to break 30 and have an 8 year old and a 7 month old. Most of my 'peers' at my daughter's school are a bit older than myself and my wife, probably by an average of 5 years. I wouldn't turn back any of my decisions, and I look forward to hitting my mid-life crisis with my kids old enough to move out. :)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
You raise an interesting point, and I was just having a similar conversation with a friend over dinner. We both agreed that 18/20 years old many years ago isn't really the same as 18/20 years old now. Personally, I'm 28 now and don't feel ready. However, I'm hopeful to have children by the time I am 35. The only thing that worries me is that if I end up with a woman who is of similar age. I keep reading about the "fact" that once women get into their late twenties (and beyond) that it becomes much harder for them to get pregnant, and if they are successful, their chance of birth defects skyrockets. Now, I don't know how accurate the information is, but it still leaves me a little worried (although I'm not losing sleep over it).

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
My dad was 28, my mom was 27. They'd been married a year and half. Not really much else to add :p)

Am I ready to have my own kids? With all the maturity of my 26 years: HELL NO :D Not sure I even want kids, to be honest.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Both my parents were 27 when they had me.

I'm 21 now, and I see some of my old highschool pals carting around babies or pushing strollers.. I'm not even done school yet, and they spend their days working menial jobs and taking care of babies... I can't even imagine it.

Devin U

Second Unit
I got married at 22(my wife was 19), and we had our first child a couple of months before my 24th birthday. Was it too soon? I dont think so. The funny thing about being a parent is, no mater how much you think you are prepared, you never feel like you are. And then it happens, and all of a sudden, the traits we need to be good parents kick in. Its a genetic thing, IMO. I think there are parents who are too young, but that has more to do with maturity than age. Sometimes, when all my friends are out parting, I wish things may have been diffrent, but then I look at my daughter (and now my son, too), and I know that I wouldnt have it any other way.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
My Mom was 30 and Dad was 32. My brother and myself are 11 years apart. I am 26 now and my wife wants a baby ASAP. I feel that I am just not ready yet. Hopefully we can hold off a little longer.

StephenA

Screenwriter
My mom turned 20 five days before I was born, and my dad was 31. Strangely enough, my mom was more mature than my dad. They divorced when I was 4, and my mom did a good job bringing me up as a single parent till she married my stepfather. He helped alot bringing me up too. My dad was in and out alot during my life. I'm 23 now, and am definitely not ready to have a kid. I haven't had girlfriend in 8 years, so it'd be kind of hard for me to have one anyways.

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
My dad was 30, and my mom was 27 when I was born.

When my daughter was born, my wife was 26 and I was 28.

We had kind of planned everything out. Got married 1 year after I graduated college, moved into a house 2 years later, had a baby 1 year after.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
My parents were 20 when I was born (oldest of 4). My wife and I were in our early 20's when we began having children. Fast forward to today and our kids are 20, 17 and 16. It's kind of fun to be young when your kids are becoming young adults. As fate would have it, my mother died at 55 so it was nice that she had the opportunity to experience some of her children becoming adults and having kids. She loved being a grandmother and really spoiled her grandchildren.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks