Age of Innocence DVD - Extras Dissapointing.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronJB, Nov 2, 2001.

1. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

The film is certainly not dissapointing, although I don't consider it Scorsese's best. Neither is the audio/video; although it's not Columbia/Tristar's best effort, the image quality only suffers from a few minor blemishes and Elmer Bernstein's score filling the room is all the audio needs (well, aside from the dialogue).
    I can understand that Martin Scorsese is currently working on "Gangs of New York" and very likely doesn't have time to work on providing extras for this piece, but I still certainly think that featurettes on the film's production design, cinematography, set decoration and other aspects could have been done, featuring those who were responsible for those areas of the film.
    All we get in terms of special features are 4 trailers and basic filmographies.
    Just my two cents.
    My Site: A Guide To Current DVD
    [Edited last by AaronJB on November 02, 2001 at 09:27 AM]

2. JasonKZ

JasonKZ Stunt Coordinator

Wow. That does stink. Especially considering that they are charging the full $29.99.

3. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I didn't even realize A of I (as opposed to A.I. [​IMG]) was "out" on DVD. It's one of my favorite "period" films.
    Too bad about the extras - you're right, this is a movie that almost screams out for some extras on at least the costumes and set design. (Heck, we even have a dining room in the color of one in the movie - and that was where we got the idea, too.)

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Allen,
    The DVD is not out quite yet - it comes out this Tuesday.

5. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

As the DVD was announced as having no extras, I'm not disappointed and got what I expected: one of the relatively few masterpieces of 1990's cinema. The film doesn't look pristine (and I feel could have looked better) but is still a significant improvement over the Laserdisc. The 5.1 track adds little to the PCM track of the Laserdisc (I actually prefer the PCM track, but given that the only other option on DVD would have been a DD 2.0 track, the 5.1 track is fine). Scorsese has yet to record a single commentary for any of his films on DVD (or indeed any film on DVD), which is surprising given his enthusiasm for the Laserdisc format and his tracks for Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and some of the Powell films. Perhaps he has tired of listening to the endless stream of fairly uninformative commentaries that make up the bulk of what appears on DVD. In this case, however, I expect he was simply too busy on Gangs of New York (which has been delayed now until mid-2002).
    The similar themed (or at least feel) Remains of the Day (alos released on 11/6) is a better package. The DVD provides a much better cleaner picture than Age of Innocence and the Remains laserdisc can be finally set to rest with my other rotting Columbia titles. The DVD includes an audio commentary from Merchant Ivory and Emma Thompson (that sounds like it was recorded in a broom closet) - which is not the best (pretty much "Oh, this was a gorgeous pub, wasn't it" and "who would think to paint that wall turquoise!" type of stuff), but it is the first commentary from M-I (along with Golden Bowl), has a very good 30 minute making of documentary, some deleted scenes and one of those HBO 20 minute ads I never watch. All in all, an excellent DVD of an excellent movie.
    Now, all I need is Golden Bowl (also out next week), although I'm less impressed with M-I's take on Henry James (simply because I don't much care for James' work other than Washington Square), but the film still has its merits.
    [Edited last by Julian Lalor on November 02, 2001 at 03:34 PM]