What's new

Agatha Christie's Ordeal by Innocence (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Amazon Prime is offering the latest Agatha Christie adaptation as a three-part miniseries on their service. I watched it this afternoon. The basic storyline and murder is the same as the book: the murder of a dominating matriarch to a hellishly dysfunctional family. But the identity of the murderer and the motive for the crime have been completely changed from the book and the previous TV adaptation (one of the Geraldine McEwan Miss Marple series entries though it was never a Miss Marple book). Characters present in the book have sometimes been altered in significant ways, too, that makes a troubled family sometimes exceedingly difficult to watch.

The story held my interest, and the new killer and motive make sense even if I prefer Dame Agatha's original solution (it was one of her two favorites of all the books she had written, so to change it so drastically seems a bit of sacrilege). While the story's setting has been retained as the 1950s, the subplots are very much more modern in tone and I don't think would have been Christie's choices were she still with us today.

Anyway, for mystery lovers, it will hold your attention, and it has been well cast and beautifully produced.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Agree with Matt on the high production values. I liked the cast very much, particularly Bill Nighy who is one of my favourite English actors. I really enjoy mystery stories but would not put this in the top draw of adaptations. Certainly worth a look though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks