Aftermarket Speaker Spikes / Cones for B&W Floorstanders

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antlue, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Antlue

Antlue Auditioning

Has anyone out there tried to install aftermarket speaker spikes / cones (the large machined alum. / brass ones w/ floor discs) in place of the original spikes supplied with the B&W 600 Series 3 Floorstanders. What is involved - do you have to drill another hole - or does it fit into the threaded socket already on the base of the speakers?
    What kind of improvement in sound (if any) do you get with installing the really big spikes / cones (1 1/2" tall by 1 1/4" dia. - the ones I was considering).
    thanks.[​IMG]

2. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I'm also interested in Antlue's question with a slight twist. Are any spikes, including the original factory spikes, absolutely necessary for optimum sound for B&W 600 floorstanding speakers? The salesperson felt that they were but thought I would ask other B&W owners what they think [​IMG]

3. Antlue

Antlue Auditioning

Spikes & cones serve to isolate the speaker enclosure from the ground (either hard surfaces or carpet and the like) - the benefits are supposed to be better bass response / imaging because these spikes / cones prevent the enclosure from moving (every so slightly) in response to the movement of the midrange / bass woofer. I am convinced about the benefits of fitting a set of spikes on floorstanders - but I am curious to find out from others if the upgrade to the much larger (and expensive) spikes / cones will be that much more noticeable and how much of a hassle is it to retrofit the new ones.
    [​IMG]