1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Aftermarker Speaker Spikes......removal????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_Sylke, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Scott_Sylke

Scott_Sylke Stunt Coordinator

I posted this in the speakers section....but since they are accesorries also...I thought here would fit as well.

OK....I have a question and hope a few of the many here have some experience in this. I bought some aftermarket speaker spikes to put on my subwoofer. I don't recall the brand name, but I got them at AudioAdvisor.com and they are or the peel-n-stick variety that ran around 50 bucks for the 4 and they came with a couple extra tips.

They've been on for a year now and the sub has been moved to some carpet that's not as plush so I don't think I need them anymore. Thing is.....I can't seem to get them off.

Are they permanent? I tried to pry them loose and the outer coating started coming loose from the part that is stuck to the speaker cabinet and I stopped there. I also tried to use some lighter fluid as I've used that to remove adhesives before.

If anyone has successfully romoved these before or can offer some advise on how to go about doing it.....please...help a man out.

Thank you!!

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Boil the sub.

haha

Can you use the floor discs instead, or do you just want the spikes gone?

3. Scott_Sylke

Scott_Sylke Stunt Coordinator

I would like the spikes to be gone. It's not that big of a deal.....they could stay on. It just bothers me knowing I can't remove them.

I've got one suggestion to use a hair dryer to heat the adhesive....I'll give that a try.

4. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

Scott,
    Along with using a Hair Dryer, spray some WD-40 (Lubricant) between the gap of the Sub Cabinet and the spike. It should soften the adhesive for easy removal ?

5. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure if WD-40 will help or not, but a better choice would be an adhesive remover such as Goof Off. There are some others also, I can't remember what my wife uses but it's orange scented and it works. Just check at wal-mart or target in the glue section. Adhesive remover will surely do the trick.

Jeff