What's new

Afterburner (Portable Monopoly GBA Mod) Reviews & International Orders? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Of course...far be it from Nintendo to announce anything important at an industry show.

Back to the Afterburner though-is there any information about Canadian orders yet-I want one of these things!

Also, for those that have installed it, does leaving the light on all the time make the system more difficult to use in direct light (or other conditions besides complete darkness)? How much of a pain was it to mount the switch? Thinking about this, and if it doesn't affect playability too much, I think I might just install it so it's always on.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I am interested to hear about direct light - i guess I can go troll around on triton labs site...

millercv

Second Unit
Ok I just got done installing it not 5 minutes ago.

So far so good - only some minor dust between the top and the afterburner - nothing you cant see unless you are looking for it directly. No bubbles in the AR sheet or anything.

Installation took a little over an hour. My suggestions: read all the hints/tips/etc on the triton lab forum and read and reread the bit on the actual cutting of the front - I had to go back and cut some more off thinking "oh that should be big enough" (well that is better than having to put some back on).

Initial impressions are it is very good - much better than any other light I've tried. The light is very evenly distributed. Occasionally you see some banding from the AR film but so far it isn't annoying.

I tried taking a pic but they are all turning out blurry in the dark, but I can attest that the ones that they have on the site are what it looks like.

Well must do further investigation!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Finally found a company that ships to Canada (www.jandaman.com if you're interested) and just finished installing my afterburner.
Thoughts-The install is a little tricky. I got some air bubbles in the AR film though, so now it's time to try to track down a replacement. Again, Trition sells these in the US for like $2, but won't ship em internationally.
It works great in direct light as well as in darkness though, and I decided to go sans dimmer, which doesn't seem to be much of a problem.
So other than the AR film, a complete success. My advice is if you're ordering, add an extra film to the order in case you botch the first one. And if anyone knows where I can get an extra AR film up here in Canada, pass on the info!

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I'm a moderator over at the Triton Labs (formerly portablemonopoly.com) forums, and I was wondering if many HTFers had installed the Afterburner in their GBAs and what were their thoughts?

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Allen,

I've been wanting to install the Afterburner in mine for awhile now, but just have not gotten around to it yet. I will probably do so in another month or so with that internal dimmer switch.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I've had mine in for about 6 months now, and I can't believe that I ever used my GBA without it. My only complaint is that the dust creep problem is real, but not nearly as bad as I would have thought. I had a clean install, but there are now a few pieces of dust on the inside of the screen (not all that distracting). Still, a small price to pay for being able to see the screen.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I can't picture using my GBA without my afterburner unit at this point. It's easily the best addon device that I've ever purchased for a gaming system.

Glen

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I've been considering buying one of these for my GBA also. Unfortunately I don't own a soldering iron. I know that you can get the afterburner installed, but I'd rather just do it myself so that I don't have to ship my GBA off somewhere. Is it possible to just use some liquid solder for this? I don't really know how well the stuff works but I've seen it in the stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks