What's new

Afterburner (Portable Monopoly GBA Mod) Reviews & International Orders? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that portablemonopoly.com has started shipping their kits-anyone have a review of one yet? I'm curious to see how well this thing works.

Also, I couldn't find anything on their site about the supposed list of international ordering facilities. Since they won't ship to Canada, I'd like to find out where I can get a kit...

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I was just going to post this same question (well except about international orders). Everyone was oooing and ahhhing about this and then it came out and nothing but silence. Either everyone got it and loved it or it has problems.

I'm still holding my breath for an official Nintendo updated GBA with lighting. Hopefully I won't pass out from lack of oxygen.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
They're shipping? Hmm...I haven't received an order confirmation yet. Maybe I'm pretty far down the list? I'm probably closer to getting my "afterburner" than a 950 though. :)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I ordered mine the minute they were available (well, available again. The online shopping cart crashed almost immediately the first time they went onsale). I only know that they started shipping because I hit the website the other day. I wonder when I'll get a shipping notice (I do have an order confirmation, for a 5 pack of 'em).

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered mine on the 16th of March and received my shipping notice 2 days ago. It should be at my house on Monday morning. Now I have to search for my soldering kit.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I bet they're trying to send me some kind of e-mail. Too bad my work e-mail (the one I used) doesn't work anymore. Guess I'll have to see how I can get that changed...

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've got 2 units in the first or second group they are supposed to ship. No word yet though. This is going to be AWESOME.

Lik sang I think is selling modded units for only $99. If I didn't already own a GBA, this is probably what I'd do.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Today they charged me the rest of my order amount, so I'm assuming that it's either shipped or shipping...

James D S

Screenwriter
I received mine 3 days ago. Installed it yesterday. Great unit and a valuable upgrade - it works as advertised.

But I just about broke down into tears trying to eliminate the dust!

Unit went together in about 1.5 hours, but I had to reassemble when I noticed the dust particles that were trapped between screens. Some dust could only bee seen when the light was on. Try as I might, I could not eliminate dust completely (after 5 tries!).

All told, it's the best lighting solution available on the market.

However, rumour is that the Big N is going to announce a true backlit Game Boy, codenamed "Plus," at E3...

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
The problem is that a backlight probably won't work as well, since it will be near impossible to play in well lit situations. The beauty of the afturburner is that it'll work well in BOTH cases.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
However, rumour is that the Big N is going to announce a true backlit Game Boy, codenamed "Plus," at E3...
If this is true I'll be one of the first to order it. If a backlit gameboy is anything like laptops it'll be great for playing everywhere except outside in direct sunlight. Which I really don't care about because if I'm outside I'll be wanting to do something else besides play video games.

James D S

Screenwriter
After playing with an upgraded unit for quite a while now, I have to say that the Afterburner works wonderfully. However, the results pale in comparison to a true backlit screen.
I've had my Turbo Express for something on the order of a decade now and it's screen, backlit LCD, easily bests and Afterburner-modded GBA in vibrancy and visability. Now, screen speed is another thing. :)
BTW, in sunlight, the Afterburner suffers the same negative reflection effects as any handheld, backlit or no, would. Nothing will eliminate glare from all angles given the intensity of sunlight - even Adam's little marvel. This I know from experience.
For those of you with GBAs, this is the only way to light the screen.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
For me, the dust was no problem. Neither was eliminating bubbles in the AR film. (Do it in one quick steady motion, and any remaining bubbles will probably disappear after removing the top layer of film) Buuuut, the soldering was a B*ITCH! I have very shaky hands, and getting all of those little solder points was an exercise in frustration.
Also, I installed the dial that dims the light, but it sounds like people have varying levels of success with it. For me, it is ultra-sensitive and dims very fast (and can turn all the way off). Others can't shut the thing off. The dimmer made it much more difficult, as the wires made it tough to maneuver the case and boards during re-assembly.
Final result - the colors get washed out a bit, but no I can actually see the screen! :)
If I didn't already have a GBA, I'd get one of the pre-modded GBA's over at Lik-Sang.com.
-Dave

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Got the shipping notice and mine will be here Friday! guess what I'll be up to this weekend? :)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Got mine today...I'll install it this weekend.

Sure is a lot of air space in that packing box!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks